Blood trailing in Coyote country

We tell our hunters to stay in sight of their blind when going after deer or hogs that they have shot. We do it for a couple reasons; so they don't get lost and two so they don't walk into another hunters area. Several weeks back we had a gentleman and his son shoot a nice 8-point with a 270 Win. The deer ran out of their sight and they followed the rules. They marked blood at the sight of the hit, trailed the buck about 150yds, and stopped when they lost sight of their blind. They then got on the cell phone and called for help.
We called in a neighbor with a tracking dog who arrived in 20mins and we were on the blood trail about an hour later. We left the dog in the truck so not to ruin the dog putting him on a deer that was alive and running and the blood trail was easy to follow.
The buck had lay down another 50yds away but after the man and his son walked back to the blind, the coyotes jumped him up and ran him to death another 100 or so yards down into the ravine. They gutted him, ate both hams, liver, and part of the back strap before we could recover him.
I've never seen them get on a deer so fast you can see in the pictures that the hunter made a great shot.
If you have hungry coyotes, get on the trail fast and stay on it.
Off season predator hunts are in order Or we won't have fawns next year.
What a shame, sure is time for yote hunting,, never had them around here till 14 years ago, now they are every where. Funny, lots of time if we hear a siren from police car, the start howling . Could be a new call. lol

Need help, I'm in Deer Park TX?
We tell our hunters to stay in sight of their blind when going after deer or hogs that they have shot. We do it for a couple reasons; so they don't get lost and two so they don't walk into another hunters area. Several weeks back we had a gentleman and his son shoot a nice 8-point with a 270 Win. The deer ran out of their sight and they followed the rules. They marked blood at the sight of the hit, trailed the buck about 150yds, and stopped when they lost sight of their blind. They then got on the cell phone and called for help.
We called in a neighbor with a tracking dog who arrived in 20mins and we were on the blood trail about an hour later. We left the dog in the truck so not to ruin the dog putting him on a deer that was alive and running and the blood trail was easy to follow.
The buck had lay down another 50yds away but after the man and his son walked back to the blind, the coyotes jumped him up and ran him to death another 100 or so yards down into the ravine. They gutted him, ate both hams, liver, and part of the back strap before we could recover him.
I've never seen them get on a deer so fast you can see in the pictures that the hunter made a great shot.
If you have hungry coyotes, get on the trail fast and stay on it.
Off season predator hunts are in order Or we won't have fawns next year.

What a shame, sure is time for yote hunting,, never had them around here till 14 years ago, now they are every where. Funny, lots of time if we hear a siren from police car, the start howling . Could be a new call. lol
It has been a call for quite some time and is commonly used to locate coyotes at night to hunt at a later date

Coyotes are a problem, but for years the bears have been coming to gun shots on my farm down east. If you shoot a deer with a bow, you are on the trail immediately. Even with that, I have had a buck taken off my tailgate by bear. I lost 2 bucks in one evening hunt, and had put hands on both of them.

As for coyotes, I predator hunt a lot. Becoming one of my favorite past times with a rifle. As stated above, if a pack comes to the call, I shoot the biggest in the hips to break him down, and his yelps bring the others back out. Can normally drop 2 or 3 more this way. I don't use an AR anymore for coyotes because my trigger finger is faster than my reticle. I find I am times more accurate with a bolt as I know I have to make each shot count.

With that said, I want to control the coyote population not eliminate it, as I feel they have a place in the eco system and I also enjoy the challenge.

Our rule is the same as stated above, any coyote is to be shot while deer hunting, no exceptions.

I hunt in Oklahoma, our yotes are very high population. We bow hunt only, see yotes almost every hunt. shot this doe with recurve a little back, wanted to wait 6 hours knew better though. Starting trailing 2 hrs after hit, about 100yds found bed with blood and stomach material, no doe, 70 yds further found hair everywhere and ground torn up another 30yds this. Complete meat strip...nothing but hide and bones left. We loose a lot of our deer if we wait to trail more than 30 mins. If you make a bad shot we have recovered 0% of meat by waiting over 4 hours. Land owner will not let us trap or shoot them. But surprisingly we have a very high deer herd.

Attachments

• yote.jpg
    yote.jpg
    793.8 KB · Views: 59
You guys down south need to feed your coyotes better. Here in Southern California we give them unlimited house cats, small yippy type dogs and an occasional small child.
Mike
I lived there for many years. When in Poway a pack of them would come out of hills behind me . I lived on a corner lot. They'd come downhill on one road on side of me and turn left in front house yipping whole time. Always between 2 and 3am when I couldn't get out of bed. I never saw cats around .

I live in MI and have a trapper trying to take out a few off our property. I run cams snd have them on camera almost every night and lately even middle of day. Going to give trapper another week then time for me get Foxpro out and 55HH. I was hoping trapper would have success other than coons.

I lived in Orange County Ca for years and they would walk down the street in the mornings almost like a dog. Got into the trash cans if they were left out, attacked cats, dogs etc.
you couldn't shoot them because it was in the city. Now in rural Oregon they are year around fair game but only in the daytime. No night hunting.

After being a rancher and seeing yotes kill calves and the cow during calving I will shoot every one of these devils every chance I get.
Yes, coyotes will pull a calf down. There have been arguments on that. Many do not believe they are capable. I myself went to put out feed one cold January morning. I noticed a cow running back and forth along the fence line frantically. I topped the hill and a coyote had her calf by the nose. I placed a .223 pill into the coyote. The coyote sat down then started spinning biting and pulling at its entrails that were out. I guess it thought it must be a snake biting.

I lived in Orange County Ca for years and they would walk down the street in the mornings almost like a dog. Got into the trash cans if they were left out, attacked cats, dogs etc.
you couldn't shoot them because it was in the city. Now in rural Oregon they are year around fair game but only in the daytime. No night hunting.
Same in San Diego Co.. Neighboring county. It's B.S. Then you have the state naitional animal the Mtn. Lion. Plenty in Orange and San Diego county....

Last edited:

Wthello-animal shelter treats unknown sick dog? Are you kidding me no clue its a yote?