Blaser versatility

Buy a Savage prefit barrel and you can do the same thing to your Savage. Takes about 10 minutes to change out a barrel and slide the scope back on the mounts. You do need a gage to set headspace and a barrel vice and a barrel nut wrench but once you have those you can change to just about anything you like.

That is all true guys. It is also true that you can use a Nikon long range scope instead of a Schmidt&bender. BUT performance costs...

trazman

Sometimes performance costs and sometimes it doesn't. I think in this case you are wrong about performance costing. A Blaser will not outperform a Savage when it comes to putting bullets on target. I have a factory Savage that has nothing done to it that will put 10 shots inside a 1 inch square at 200 yards. And that is with me shooting it. If somebody really good was pulling the trigger who knows what it could do. That doesn't leave much room for improvement. I think other rifles could equal that but they won't beat it.

trazman

Sometimes performance costs and sometimes it doesn't. I think in this case you are wrong about performance costing. A Blaser will not outperform a Savage when it comes to putting bullets on target. I have a factory Savage that has nothing done to it that will put 10 shots inside a 1 inch square at 200 yards. And that is with me shooting it. If somebody really good was pulling the trigger who knows what it could do. That doesn't leave much room for improvement. I think other rifles could equal that but they won't beat it.

I wasn't going there as I have very limited experience with the Blaser but I totally agree with you.

I totally agree, it should be both and complimentary, that's why I commented as ...

lightbulb:DYep, and the biggest factor remains the NUT behind the trigger.:Dlightbulb

This reminds me ... in the early 1990s while stationed at Davis-Monthan AFB, AZ, I was at then Tucson Rod and Gun Club doing my final sight in before the hunting season begins.

I fired 3 each for 3 hunting rifles and packed it. While waiting for the range to be cleared safe so I can retrieve my targets, I was admiring the guy's set-up shooting next to me, IIRC it was a Blaser R8 (?) in .30-06 topped with S&B scope (don't remember the model); it was absolutely beautiful rig.

Had about 10 minutes left so I started to watch him instead, he was obviously having trouble as he keeps adjusting his scope and shaking his head. I looked through my spotting scope and he was all over the place.

I was surprised when he asked me if I wanted to shoot it but accepted without hesitation. :D As I try to get comfortable to take the shoot, I noticed that he went through a couple of boxes of factory ammo already, which explains why he was anticipating the recoil each time he pulls the trigger. I fired 3 rounds and they were all within 1 MOA at 100 yards.

The best advise I can give him at the time was to pack it and try another day, needless to say, that was the last time I saw him. :rolleyes:

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.