Blaser R8

16n69

Hi;
does anyone have a Blaser R8...any model?
I was interested in the "Professional" in .375 H7H...or the Semi Weight, but I read the R93 thread here...and there were quite a few negative comments about the reliability, quality and design of the "straight back bolt" that has me wondering.
It seemed like a whole bunch of cool innovation, and Germans usually build good stuff?

I am new to the R8, but have had one with a 375 barrel for a couple of months. My Blaser is extremely well made with near perfect fit, finnish and repeatable accuracy. The trigger has never failed to fire and is an excellent pull weight with crispness. I am tempted to empty my 3 safes and just continue to buy more barrels. Although the proof for me will be in the field, so my turnbolt sales with have to wait.

From my research, I suspect most of the negative comments regarding the R93 originated from the early years of its production, and from all I can tell the R8 doesn't share any of the same issues.

There were some issues early on with R93's.

My brother has had several for a few years now and never an issue.

-- richard

I have a R93 in 7stw, it is very accurate and I have never experienced a FTF. From my research it sounded like the largest percentage of issues with the R93's were from persons using reloaded ammo that may have not seated the primers fully. They are unique rifles, that's for sure. Find someone that has one and give it a try, I bet you will like it.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.