Bird dogs

I've been around a lot of different breeds, done more than a bit of upland and waterfowl and to date far and away my best bird dog is (and this'll get you to chuckle) but my 14 lb Jack Russell.

That little dude is my constant companion and be it bear hunting and or pheasant he's in the middle of it and has more hunt in him than any other dog I've had the fortune to be around...

Dogs sure make life better, no matter what breed we pick as a buddy

I switched to a wirehaired pointing Griffon and I'm glad I did. I've had German shorthairs and German wirehairs and they're both phenomenal hunting breeds, but the personality of the wpg is a much better fit for my style of hunting (short range, heavy cover) and she's been a better house dog than either the of German shorthair or wirehairs ever were. Here she is chasing a grouse into the brush
1oBMqBe.jpg
Did you find your WPG in the Northwest or have to go further afield? I think this is the dog for me. GSP's and the like are too high strung and too high energy for my tastes.

Did you find your WPG in the Northwest or have to go further afield? I think this is the dog for me. GSP's and the like are too high strung and too high energy for my tastes.

I got her from Idaho Wells Griffons in Caldwell. I took my son and made the road trip over there from the Olympia, Wa area. There are a couple top end WPG breeders in Idaho and one that I know of in Washington. I was on a waiting list for about 12 months.

What is everyone using for dog food?

All of my dogs, even the the two rescue mutts, get Acana. Good quality food made a huge difference in their overall health.

I've been using the 30/20 pro plan sport, but this year it doesn't seem to keep weight on him.

My 4 year old is maintaining weight but the 1 year old is slimming up. Bumping him to 5-6 cups of Pro Plan Sport to see how he does. After season sure he will bump up some.

My 4 year old is maintaining weight but the 1 year old is slimming up. Bumping him to 5-6 cups of Pro Plan Sport to see how he does. After season sure he will bump up some.
Have you looked at the Acana dog foods? My 60# WPG gets 2 cups per day, 1 in the morning and 1 in the evening and she's held a consistent weight between 58-60# for the last 5 years. I'll give her an extra 1/4 cup at each feeding when she's really putting in some miles during hunting season. Acana is a pretty pricey food, but I've found that the dogs don't need to eat as much each day to maintain a good weight.