BiPod Information and Choice

Nrth16

Good morning all,

I am sure this has been brought up before however I am looking into purchasing my first bipod for my rifle and I am looking at the Atlas Cal or the Evolution and have a couple of questions for you all as I am very inexperienced when it comes to bipods.

Hunting in Colorado

1. Which brand would you lean towards? I would get the Atlas Cal version and I heard other versions of the Atlas a lot of preloading flex. Do you see this to be an issue?

2. What height would you purchase? (I know you can get extensions and so on however I am assuming I would be looking for shooting in the prone position... The last few years I shot sitting off of shooting sticks but again a much higher height.

Thank you very much for your time and resposne!

Good morning all,

I am sure this has been brought up before however I am looking into purchasing my first bipod for my rifle and I am looking at the Atlas Cal or the Evolution and have a couple of questions for you all as I am very inexperienced when it comes to bipods.

Hunting in Colorado

1. Which brand would you lean towards? I would get the Atlas Cal version and I heard other versions of the Atlas a lot of preloading flex. Do you see this to be an issue?

2. What height would you purchase? (I know you can get extensions and so on however I am assuming I would be looking for shooting in the prone position... The last few years I shot sitting off of shooting sticks but again a much higher height.

Thank you very much for your time and resposne!
I'd use Atlas for bipods with their QD mount, love them. The BT46-LW17 PSR (Precision Sniper Rifle) Atlas Bipod mounts directly to any 1913 style Picatinny rail via the included ADM-170-S lever.

With that said; a lot of my past field shooting/hunting was done on lightweight sticks, nothing more than two pieces of strong carbon fiber tubes/rods screwed together to give a shear effect of movement, like buffalo sticks using black surgical tubing at the top Y to help hold the rifle in place, while moving fast from one point to another for a fast shot they folded down next to the rifle as I moved I made them too work the best, at the height that I liked for standing & sitting, and they also worked as walking sticks as well, with metal tips at the bottom. Cheap easy to make and work great, they last forever I still have the first one I built after many seasons in the field chasing Deer, Elk, and Yotes with them. Good luck Cheers.

I've been using Atlas and am very happy with them. However, I'm old enough that I don't enjoy hunting/ shooting prone so I take most of my field shots from a RRS tripod set up.

I would look at the javelin bipods. I think its by spartan precision. They are light and work well. Plus you can transfer them very easily between rifles. Probably not as stable as the Atlas but lighter. I have used one for shooting my 300 win mag and my 22 nosler and it works well.

Allow me to jump in, I have two sling stubs on the front of the stock. If I place a pic rail for a bi pod what could I utilize for the sling mount? Do the bipods have a sling stub to attach a sling?

Allow me to jump in, I have two sling stubs on the front of the stock. If I place a pic rail for a bi pod what could I utilize for the sling mount? Do the bipods have a sling stub to attach a sling?

There are pic rail options with a sling hole on the rail, which is what I use mostly with my Atlas setup. Also if the rail is long enough, you can also mount a sling attachment point on the rail as well as the bipod.

With a Harris bi-pod and two studs, you could use one of the bi-pod and one for the sling.

Here is one of the Atlas conversations for bi-pods and QD sling that I use. Work's great, plus it will accept other 1913 pic mounts. Cheers

223 Rem LR 7.jpg
223 Rem LR 5.jpg
223 Rem LR 6.jpg

For hunting the Hatch bi-pod is tough to beat for versatility.

For hunting the Hatch bi-pod is tough to beat for versatility.

I looked at that one when I bought one, Its very nice and the range is the biggest plus on it. But the javelin is less than half the weight. Quickly can go between rifles, Single stud, M-lock, 1913 an others. plus its a little cheaper and has a good range.

I prefer the medium or short Harris brand. I also like the adjustable "tilt swivel" option. You might want to think about using "shooting sticks" like the old buffalo hunters did.

They are something else to have to carry. But... Who knows? I have 2 sets. A short 3 foot pair for sitting and a 6 foot pair for standing shots.

Can go wrong with the old tried and trusted harris. Affordable and reliable. Had the same one since i was 15 been through hell and back many times with no hiccups. Been thinking about getting a swivel one lately. Accutec tbac atlas there are a couple others cant think of right now but you will see them. Are all pretty nice but spendy

Recent Posts