Binocular question

Niles Coyote

This fall will find me in southeast montana hunting mule deer. I have 7x50 steiner's and also plan to bring my spotting scope. My question is will I be under powered with a 7x bino? Do I need to get something more powerful?

I guess the type of glass you use would really depend on how you hunt but you should not have a problem with the 7x power. I use a pair of 7x35 Leica's when hiking or backpacking and prefer them over the higher power. They just work better for me.

I have a pair of 7x42 swar. that I like very well. Your 7x50 will work well although they are probably pretty heavy like my 7x42 bino's. Dont try to cut too much weight with a pair of compacts for mule deer, I don't care who makes them. A small objective lens is not comfortable to look through for extended bino work and gets dim at the end and begining of each day. Dean

My favorite is the 8-8.5x range but most hunters around here opt for the 10x. You will be glassing at distance in SE Montana

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.