Binocular question

myanmar1

Looking at buying a new pair of binoculars.
Debating between higher end 10x42, 10x50 or 12x50. I currently use a cheap 10x42 but can't make out too much detail past 500 yds. Wondering
what ya'll use or have used in the past.

I love my Kahles 10X42. I have a Swarovski 8X32, and prefer the Kahles. Very subjective, but my hunting buddy has a Swaro 10X42 EL and can't see any discernable difference.

10x42or 10x50 are great all around. If you have the money get swaros SLCs, you will never regret it. Vortex razors are a little cheaper and a good choice too

Looking at buying a new pair of binoculars.
Debating between higher end 10x42, 10x50 or 12x50. I currently use a cheap 10x42 but can't make out too much detail past 500 yds. Wondering
what ya'll use or have used in the past.

You might consider Alpens. I really like my 10X50 Tetons. Alpen has a replacement warranty even if you accidentally damage it. I know from experience. They allow a trade to upgrade if you want. I did that too.

i wanted to try a higher magnification, but I think it might be too shaky to make out details. That's why i'm considering the better quality glass in 10x42 or 10x50. Was kind of hoping people would chime in saying stability with 12x wasn't a problem.
Just afraid to drop the coin on a better 10x and still have the same problem.

One of the toughest choices out there is anything to do with high end optics.

How you will use them is a factor, weight etc.. I shake with all of them anymore without a rest. Some individuality with your eyes will also be a factor.

I find the resolution in top end bino's is much better than a cheap pair.

My next ones will likely be 12X, as I don't pack anymore, and weigh won't be a factor.

No experience with the 12 plus power binoculars. My brother has a pair of the 10x42 zeiss conquest. They have been steel head fishing with a number of people. They have all been packing their binoculars as there has been a lot of elk and deer down in the area they have been fishing. There have been a lot of different binoculars in the group that cost in the $300 to $400 range ( I won't name them, as I don't want anyone to think I'm knocking their favorite bino). Anyway everyone agrees that the zeiss are very clear and far superior to any of the other binos. Now please understand they are by far the most expensive binoculars there. I don't know if this helps, but if I understood part of question correctly, you were wondering if better quality binos would help you see clear, etc. I know this group of guys think it would. Good luck, good glass is expensive and a big investment and a guy doesn't want to get it wrong.

I know this group of guys think it would. Good luck, good glass is expensive and a big investment and a guy doesn't want to get it wrong.

^^^^^^^^ This is what i'm thinking also. I currently use a Bushnell sportsman i got through Cabelas for $40 while on vacation. Looking at upgrading to Vortex razors or Swarovski slc. problem is no retailer here carries high end glass, so i'm unable to do side by side comparison.

A good pair of 10x42's is never a bad choice. 12x is too much for stability purposes and 10x50's are too big and bulky for all around use. Stick to the top tier brands, swarovski, Leica, Zeiss, etc. They won't disappoint and if you decide to sell them later you'll get most of your money back unlike stuff like Vortex. I have a 15 year old pair of swarovski 10x42 slc's and I could sell them today for more than I paid for them. Not that I ever would, I'll be buried with those things I love them so much.

These are pretty much as good as it gets:
http://www.cabelas.com/product/hunt.../Ne-1000004820?WTz_st=GuidedNav&WTz_stype=GNU

For reasons I have yet to understand I've been turning into a binocular collector :cool:

Dispute 3 pairs of swaros and a few of the other big names my go to binoculars are an old set of vortex fury 6.5x30's. I've found that a good pair of lower power bino's will beat a lesser pair higher power ones every time. It's also not all about price. Metopea's are great and lower cost as are Vortex. My old fury's were around $370 new. I got them for $125 when they were discontinued. Those lucky enough to have a pair just won't part with them. Pay more attention to eye relief, weight and field of view and less to exit pupil size. Better bino's with smaller exit pupil size will trump lesser ones with bigger pupil sizes.

Forget this shakey bs , buy used their much cheaper, not everybody's eyes are 18. But their always changing and not for the better, little personal story my 3rd cousin bought a new pair of vortex hd vipers in 10/42s I looked threw them and loved them ,long story shortened up I bought a used pair of vortex 15/50 hds vipers cheaper then his new ones and love them , lots of great buys out there ,trust your instincts, and yes I don't need a tripod adapter for my 59 year young eyes lightbulb, regards jjmp

What kind of hunting do you do the most ? For bow hunting I use a pair of 7x as it's generally closer and darker and they will give more light, Leica 10x for most other hunting, and a pair of 15x for big open mountain hunting. The more power in general the less light you will get, all else being the same(make, model, etc.)

What kind of hunting do you do the most ? For bow hunting I use a pair of 7x as it's generally closer and darker and they will give more light, Leica 10x for most other hunting, and a pair of 15x for big open mountain hunting. The more power in general the less light you will get, all else being the same(make, model, etc.)

This might be true, but from side by side testing the higher the magnification the longer they last as low light sets in. It's like getting closer to the target. If I was limited to one binocular I would get the best variable I could. Since I'm not I use 8X30 for carry and 15X58 on a tripod. I used the 10X only when I went to Alaska. I thought about selling them when I got home but I like them too much.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.