Bino and Spotting scope?

Mike_E

Hi all
Where would you spend your money
option 1 Vortex viper hd 15-45x60 spoting scope and Diamondback binos
option 2 diamondback 20-60x60 diamondback spotter and viper binos

I cant afford both to be vipers and I do plan on backpacking with the spotting scope. I don't know where it is better to have the better optics.

Also, how much of an advantage will the 60 power be on the range how far down range can I realistically see.

Thanks

Mike

I agree with losthwy. Get a good pair of binos first.

Know, I know its probably not what you want to hear, but if there's any way you can swing, dont skimp on your spotter either. Trust me, even if you have to wait until next years hunt to afford it, it will be worth it. Also i think a good 12-40 or 15-45 power spotter is plenty. My dad has a 20-60x Leica, my buddy has a 15-45x Zeiss, and I have a 12-40x Leupold HD gold ring( which I love) and we all agree that the 60 power is rarely needed. With good glass you don't always need higher magnification.

I think that the vortex viper HD would be good choice ,if there's any way financially possible, after a good pair of binos. Also vortex has a new Razor HD 11-33x50 that is perfect for packing at only 25oz. Len ( the sites originator) has them for sale through his store and a darn good write up on them too.

I know it hurts the pocket book, but believe me, and even ask around on this site, dont settle on average optics if you hunt alot. It seriously makes hunting more fun with good glass.
Brent

I was going to say exactly what these other guys said. Buy better Binos. if you have enough in the budget for viper binos and a diamondback spotter buy Razor Binos and save for a spotter Later. I have hunted the last 6 years with a good set of Binos (Leica Geovids) and they have been amazing. I just now got around to ordering a Spotter (16-48 Razor HD) which I havent received yet so I cant tell you how good it is but I have read nothing but good reviews on the Razor line up. I highly recommend getting the absolute best glass you can afford rather than splitting the budget and getting 2 mid line items. You will be amazed what you can do with a high end set of Binos

one other thing I would look for a good used set and save some $$ itll get you into a better set than if you were to buy new. I have bought used optics lots of times and they are as good as new.

...if you have enough in the budget for viper binos and a diamondback spotter buy Razor Binos and save for a spotter Later.

Second that.
The Vipers are good, but the Razors are excellent. I just recently did a side by side comparison with the Razor and Zeiss Conquest, in low light. In 8x42 which is my choice of compromise between low light performance and weight. Both a friend and I thought the Razor had a sharper image.

another vote for better binocs. You use them more then any other optic you carrry in the field.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.