Bighorn actions?

DXHI

Anyone built a shooter out of one?
I'm wanting a remmage action for my first build.
I would like some first hand experience

I just bought a TL3 to do a switch barrel on. The TL3 is a sweet action and is awesome for doing barrel nut setups, shouldered setups or switchlug. Any of the three. It's perfect for me, savage threads, savage floating bolt head, interchangeable bolt faces and Remington footprint. What is the goal of your build? PRS, hunting, tactical, lightweight? I think knowing that helps people point you to the best action for what you want to do.
Huntsman22 has the setups I am working towards, with the exception mine will have a switchlugs and my SR3 will be a long action. Nice looking rifles Huntsman

I'm going mainly for a hunting rig. Considering going extreme lightweight for the heck of it. I want to build a 6.5x47 for coyote treatments.
But this is essentially a practice build to see what I like and dont for ultimately a sheep rifle.
Considering a proof research barrel.

Picked up a Christensen arms gun in store the other day and it was scary light.

For extreme lightweight I would look at Lone Peak or another titanium action.
I don't shoot ultra lights very well so I have avoided the ultra lights. You could still do lightweight build with a Bighorn action just not ultra.
I have zero experience with the ultra light actions but I am sure someone who has had a few can chime in on preferences.
Christensen makes carbon barrels that they sell, maybe look at theirs too. Plus they are made in Utah so they get my vote lol.

Bighorns are awesome. Buy with confidence. I have only used shouldered barrels so far, but nice that you can use savage prefit with a nut if you want to. Something no one has mentioned yet is their customer service is unmatched.

Any recommendations on light weight stocks while were at it.....hi-jacking my own thread

I have a Bighorn TL3 long action. I just put together a 280AI with a criterion barrel (savage profit) and apa muzzle break, trigger tech trigger set to about 1.5 pounds). I put it in an MPA BA Lite Chassis. Put an NSS stainless lug and nut on it. The chassis is very light for a chassis, but not the Ultra light weight you would be looking for. The TL3 accommodates an AICS mag, so that would not be what you would want either. The Bighorn SR3 is the action would would want to consider as a possibility for a lighter weight hunting stock. The Bighorn the TL3 and SR3 have a remington footprint but can accommodate savage profit barrels from Criterion, Shilen and the other barrel makers that produce profits. If you have the go/no go gagues and the barrel wrench etc, switching or installing barrels takes about 15 minutes. Big bighorn action with integral lug and rail are well made, but not a lightweight setup. I personally rather have a beefy action if I am switching barrels and using it a lot. I have shot .5 inch groups but have not done load development. Love it so far.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.