Bigger presses

milanuk

At what point do you see it being either a) necessary or b) worth it (by whatever metric) to move up to one of the bigger presses?

Where do you go from something like an O-frame with 1-1/4" threads like a Redding Big Boss II, to something bigger like a Redding UltraMag or an RCBS Ammo Master? Not sure I'm on board with going nuts on one of the premium foreign presses (Lenzi, Turban, Talon, etc.) though I could be talked into it ;)

If it matters, at the moment the biggest cartridge I currently have a .338 LM, with a .300 PRC and a .338 LM Imp. in the works. Eventually (sometime next year?) I'd like to start on something like a 37XC, if all goes well. The press(es) I have now (Dillon 550B and Forster Co-Ax) can handle what I have at the moment... just looking at 'down the road' at bigger cartridges and/or bigger dies.

For many years, I have used a standard RCBS press to load everything from 8mm Mag to 308. I also have a RCBS Partner for smaller cartridges. Neither has ever been a problem..

"At what point do you see it being either a) necessary or b) worth it (by whatever metric) to move up to one of the bigger presses."

If it takes both arms to full length size, get a bigger press.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.