Big hunt coming up NEED SCOPE take a look

matt_3479

I have a moose and bear hunt coming up in a month. I spend the last little while shooting my new 300. wsm. The scope ended up breaking (cheap old scope) so i need to get a new one fast. I am undecided due to money issues. to start i dont know if i should go and buy a good scope now or buy a decent scope and buy a good one later. I want a good magnification because shots will be from 100-400 yards

Decent scopes:
- Burris FullField II 4.5-14x 40
-Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x 40
- or the Zeiss Conquest 3-9x 40
-Vortex Viper 4-12X 40

Good scopes:
-Leupold VX3 3.5-10x 40 (with/without CDS)
4.5-14X 40 (with/without CDS)
-Leupold VX3L 3.5-10x 40
-Zeiss Conquest 3.5-10x 44
- Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16X 42

Should i get a decent scope now and buy a good one later or buy a good scope now and stick with it for life. I have a days to decide my hunts in a month.

The scope will be placed on a Browning A-Bolt 300. wsm for Moose, Black bear, caribou for shots 100-400 yards

Buy the best that you can afford. "Buy once, Cry once". CS Tactical and Cameraland, both have the Vortex at a "Clearance" price. I dont own any, but hear good things about them. Good Luck with your choice.

You might consider what I am using on my rifle as a stop gap until my new scope gets here. Im using a Horus Vision HAWK it was around 400 when I got it that was a few years ago not sure the price now.

It has a very nice peice of glass in it. I have it on my 300 win mag and I have had zero issues with it shifting, foging, tracting etc... For the money its is great. They are made by HAKO of Japan.

The scope features the H25 rectical and comes with ballistic software. The rectical has enough drop built into it to get me to 1000 yards and the software is easy to use.

I have it zeroed at 200 yards. You enter all the info from you rifle and load into the ballistics program and it spits out a nice little drop chart for you. Just tape it to the buttstock and hunt. I have shot it too 800 so far and the drops where right there. Just a suggestion for you

For the yardage you will be shooting at you cant beat the leupold vx3 w/CDS. Cabelas has the 4.5 x 14 on sale for like $520. Everything you will ever need with out breaking the bank. The Nightforces and the other optics of that caliber are only needed for 1000 yard plus. Leupold has great glass and best warranty.

Most folks don't like fixed scopes but this is what I did on my big game rifles. I went with a Leupold FX 3. 6x42 fixed scope with the Leupold LR duplex reticle. For my rifle I sight in at 200yds and first dot down is 300, second is 400 and bottom crosshair is 500. I added a M1 Elevation knob for shooting past 500. It's simple and very rugged and I can shoot steel easily out to 1000yds with it. For moose you can't do much better. It's great in the timber and can easily reach out there. I chose this scope after going through migher magnification scopes including swarovski, IOR tactical and Bushnell 4200. Highly recommend this scope.

Well, I'll muddy the water further, but I'll stick with your list.

The Zeiss Conquest has the best glass and plenty of magnification to get you to 400 yards. That's where I'd put my money; in fact, I'd put my money there even if it wasn't on your list. Zeiss scopes, even the Conquest line, are the caddys of hunting scopes.

My money is on the zeiss and Leupold. a vx2 3-9 or a conquest 3-9 is not only affordable but excellent quality so it would last a life time. Whichever way you go I definatley say buy the best you can afford now otherwise the scope you replace your OK scope with becomes very expensive. I also liked the idea i saw above about the FX-3 I have one and I love it. People think a higher magnification scope makes them more accurate but in the end the target is the same size and you have the same amount of room for error. Good luck with your choice.

I own them all except the Zeiss and Vortex. The only one I don't like is the Nikon (trouble sighting in and staying there). The Burris is good except for the ocular that rotates with the power ring (not good with flip up caps). The Leupold and Bushnell 6500 are about what you would expect them to be. Decent glass, good adjustments, and decent brightness. I say buy the best you can afford now. Scopes in this price range don't hold their value very well, so you'll get hosed when you trade up later.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.