Big Horn NF or Shoshone NF

tlong

I have a friend of mine retiring from the Navy, and he has always wanted to go elk hunting with a side of antelope. I am wanting to surprise him with a DIY hunt and have Wyoming on the brain. He has mentioned that he would like to just kill a cow elk for meat/hide and he wants to go after a good antelope or mule deer. I have been trying to do research on my own, and have been looking in the big horn national forest area, and the shoshone national forest area. Am I on the right track, or should I be looking somewhere else that has a better chance of tagging out? I know about the wilderness rules and I don't plan on venturing into any areas that may be questionable. Any help would be appreciated.

I'd go with the Bighorn NF. Much less wilderness to worry about compared to the Shoshone. Also, you have good antelope potential on east or west slope of Bighorns.

Bud Love is an ocean of orange! I would suggest more in the Burgess Junction/Shell canyon area or around Hyattville for best chance at elk and deer. Be sure to consider how you'll get an elk out if you get one. Some pretty rugged country up there.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.