Big Boss II vs Rebel?

Lonewolf74

Didn't want to hi jack the new press thread but it got me thinking about a question I wanted to ask.

Is the Big Boss II and the Rebel pretty comparable in size as far as ram stroke and load opening? Would either or be able to handle loading 4" long cartridges without "tipping" the bullet and case up into the die while sliding it into the case holder?

As a bonus is anyone familiar with the Redding 700 Ultramag? How does it stack up against the BBII or Rebel?

I'm wanting to get a new press to better handle sizing my 338 Norma based wildcat and seat bullets on the longer cartridges but I'm not 100% convinced any of these would be a big step up from my Rock Chucker?

Can't advise you on the presses you mentioned but I own a Lee Classic Cast and load for my 30/378 and 300 RUM. Lots of hand space, no tipping cases.

Didn't want to hi jack the new press thread but it got me thinking about a question I wanted to ask.

Is the Big Boss II and the Rebel pretty comparable in size as far as ram stroke and load opening? Would either or be able to handle loading 4" long cartridges without "tipping" the bullet and case up into the die while sliding it into the case holder?

As a bonus is anyone familiar with the Redding 700 Ultramag? How does it stack up against the BBII or Rebel?

I'm wanting to get a new press to better handle sizing my 338 Norma based wildcat and seat bullets on the longer cartridges but I'm not 100% convinced any of these would be a big step up from my Rock Chucker?
I'm very happy with my redding ultra mag press I load for 338 Lapua among others . I still have to slightly tip it to seat the bullet.
image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg

I use the RCBS RockChucker Supreme, Big Boss or Big Boss II for 505 Gibbs, 500 Nitro and 600 Nitro with 1" dies, or 416 Rigby without issue. The Rebel is larger again. I had the RCBS 50BMG Ammomaster, it will handle anything.

Cheers.

I went with an Ammo Master II for the same reason, easier to load the long cartridges. I'd recommend getting a 50 cal sized press, it might save you with larger cartridges down the road. Nothing wrong with the Ammo Master and it makes good ammo but if I was looking again I'd have to heavily consider the Prazzi Press or there is a company up here in Canada called Alberta Tactical Rifle and they make their own press that looks really nice. I am sure there are others out there to consider also.

I went with an Ammo Master II for the same reason, easier to load the long cartridges. I'd recommend getting a 50 cal sized press, it might save you with larger cartridges down the road. Nothing wrong with the Ammo Master and it makes good ammo but if I was looking again I'd have to heavily consider the Prazzi Press or there is a company up here in Canada called Alberta Tactical Rifle and they make their own press that looks really nice. I am sure there are others out there to consider also.
I would love an Accu-Max press from Alberta Tactical but I just can't justify that $11-1200 price for a press especially when it's been shown to not produce anymore accurate ammo.
The Prazzi Press looks really nice and comes with great reviews but I'm a little biased with German made stuff…my experience in other industries is they engineer well but quality and durability is often lacking.

A question regarding the Ammo Master; how is using it on an average size cartridge like say 308 Win? The one thing about the Ammo Master is I feel it has a super long stroke and handle swing that would get old especially on smaller cartridges? On the other hand I have thought about going this route because a 375 Cheytac could be in my future. This is a press I wish I found setup somewhere so I could cycle it a few times.

A question regarding the Ammo Master; how is using it on an average size cartridge like say 308 Win? The one thing about the Ammo Master is I feel it has a super long stroke and handle swing that would get old especially on smaller cartridges? On the other hand I have thought about going this route because a 375 Cheytac could be in my future. This is a press I wish I found setup somewhere so I could cycle it a few times.
Throw length doesn't bother me at all. That being said if I know ill be doing lots of cases for a certain cartridge I set up my Dillon. I decap, prime, expand in separate ops so the Dillon pays off in that regard, I also prime with the Dillon. In that case I just use the Ammo Master to seat. I leave both presses set up all the time. You could do that and just bounce back and forth as needed

I have the BBII and when I load up my 28 Nosler with Berger 195's, I don't have to tip them over to get them out. I'm right at 3.8" COAL. I do have to feed the bullet into the die at an angle when seating them. That's using a Redding Comp seater which sticks down further than others.
The press is built like a tank.