Redding press - Big Boss II or Ultramag?

fmajor

I'll put these criteria up front so readers can, well, read 'em.

1) i am interested *only* in the two presses in the subject line NOT coax, not T7, not rockchucker, not Lee -
..............................................................................*only* Big Boss II or Ultramag
2) questions? see 1) above.

OK, now that that's out of the way....

Oh yeah, I have googled this question here and elsewhere ad nauseum and it's hard to find an answer that doesn't digress into coax land or Lee land or rockchucker land, etc.

The max. sized chambering i will load for is a 338 Lapua (probably Improved, but that wouldn't effect things in a stout press). A big 375 would be really nifty, but i doubt i'll ever get there....

However, I may one day pick up another 45-70, but that's a maybe at this point.

So, which press would you buy?

Big Boss II or Ultramag?

I'd say both are fine, but if it was my choice, I'd pick the Ultramag. There isn't much you couldn't do with that monster.

Wish I could help, but I just never had any experience with Redding presses. Lyman, RCBS and Dillon. Once I went to the Forster Co-Ax for my single stage use, I stopped looking. It is head and shoulders above anything else I've used.

I'll put these criteria up front so readers can, well, read 'em.

1) i am interested *only* in the two presses in the subject line NOT coax, not T7, not rockchucker, not Lee -
..............................................................................*only* Big Boss II or Ultramag
2) questions? see 1) above.

OK, now that that's out of the way....

Oh yeah, I have googled this question here and elsewhere ad nauseum and it's hard to find an answer that doesn't digress into coax land or Lee land or rockchucker land, etc.

The max. sized chambering i will load for is a 338 Lapua (probably Improved, but that wouldn't effect things in a stout press). A big 375 would be really nifty, but i doubt i'll ever get there....

However, I may one day pick up another 45-70, but that's a maybe at this point.

So, which press would you buy?

Big Boss II or Ultramag?

I have the BBII and I don't think I would want to reload 338LM with it. The Ultramag has a frame opening over 4.5" the BBII is 3.8.

If you're serious about reloading for the big lapua get the ultramag the case is 2.724 the 300 OTM is 1.820 total total is well over 3.800.

Redding makes a great press I am sure you wont regret either.

Good luck and shoot straight.

Bob

I have two Ultramags on my bench. Fantastic presses. I don't have the BBII but I do have the Lee Classic Cast Single Stage which is very similar to the BBII.

Both have unique features but the Ultramag is the real workhorse. I use it regularly to re-form cases and re-size large cases (7 RM, 300 WM and 45-70). Nothing I've done has even come close to challenging the strength of the Ultramag.

I like the ergonomics of the Ultramag too. Nice large opening that doesn't cramp my hands like the CoAx did.

FWIW - A while back I contacted the good folks at Redding and asked if the Ultramag is suitable for bullet swageing, they said they would not recommend it.

I have the BBII and I don't think I would want to reload 338LM with it. The Ultramag has a frame opening over 4.5" the BBII is 3.8.

If you're serious about reloading for the big lapua get the ultramag the case is 2.724 the 300 OTM is 1.820 total total is well over 3.800.

Redding makes a great press I am sure you wont regret either.

Good luck and shoot straight.

Bob

Thanks Bob!

That's exactly what i was wondering about the BBII. It seems like a very capable press, but as i'm looking to eventually go with a big 338 (Lapua AI most likely), i was curious if the BBII would realistically have a large enough opening.

I have two Ultramags on my bench. Fantastic presses. I don't have the BBII but I do have the Lee Classic Cast Single Stage which is very similar to the BBII.

Both have unique features but the Ultramag is the real workhorse. I use it regularly to re-form cases and re-size large cases (7 RM, 300 WM and 45-70). Nothing I've done has even come close to challenging the strength of the Ultramag.

I like the ergonomics of the Ultramag too. Nice large opening that doesn't cramp my hands like the CoAx did.

FWIW - A while back I contacted the good folks at Redding and asked if the Ultramag is suitable for bullet swageing, they said they would not recommend it.

Thanks flashhole!

When i first started reloading back in the early 90's, i had a Rockchucker and it was quite nice. It did OK with my 7mm Rem Mag and 300 Win Mag, but i did have to give it a little umph to FL size 'em.

Fast fwd to post grad school (when i needed $ and had to sell most everything) and living in Europe for many years, i am finally able to pursue shooting/hunting again. So now as i re-enter these sports with a more informed "eye", i want to buy it "right" to accommodate wherever my shooting/hunting dreams may take me.

I liked the ergo's of my Rockchucker - the side loading was nice and i used the earliest version of the RCBS Competition Seater dies which made it all so nice and easy.

I have no interest in/plans to swage bullets so i suspect the Ultramag will do everything i'd ever need it to.

THanks again!!!!

If you are seeking additional advice I can offer this - Pick up some Imperial Sizing Die Wax now marketed by Redding. It's the best complement to any reloading setup. A good marketing ploy by Redding would be to include a small canister with every press they sell.

Rather than create a new thread I'd kinda like to revive this for a minute and ask the same question the OP asked. I'm really looking at the BB2 and ultramag. Anyone with advice on either one now 5-6 years later? The bb2 has a 4.5" opening and the ultramag is 4.75". I'm used to a rock chucker and it's done fine but I just got a 300 Norma and having to lift the bullet into the seater die is getting annoying so I'm gonna get a new press that doesn't require that. Is the ultramag worth the extra $120 or should I be just fine with the bb2? I don't have a preference for o frame or open front, the open front does seem nicer. I'm basically looking at this from a "starting fresh" outlook because I'm not gonna be keeping the rock chucker since it's not mine, it's my grandpas that he's loaned me and doesn't want to sell to me because you "never know if you need it" lol the guy hasn't reloaded in 15 years but it's his so I won't push.

I have an Ultra-Mag and it loads everything well. My big gun is a 416 Rigby and it resizes it as easily as a 243. The ergonomics are great even when using quite a bit of force on forming wildcat rounds. As an aside when I broke a connecting pin 1 call to Redding and I had a new one in 3 days with no charge. The customer service there is as good as it gets! I use my 30 year old rockchucker only as a universal depriming station. I have been using my Ultra-Mag over 15 years now with only the single problem noted above. The $120 difference over the life of these presses is inconsequential. Sizing true Lapua/Rigby size cases in a RCBS vs. Ultra-Mag is night and day easier with the big boy.

Last edited:
I have an Ultra-Mag and it loads everything well. My big gun is a 416 Rigby and it resizes it as easily as a 243. The ergonomics are great even when using quite a bit of force on forming wildcat rounds. As an aside when I broke a connecting pin 1 call to Redding and I had a new one in 3 days with no charge. The customer service there is as good as it gets! I use my 30 year old rockchucker only as a universal depriming station. I have been using my Ultra-Mag over 15 years now with only the single problem noted above.
Do the arms get in the way of front access on the ultramag?

I have a bb2 that i picked up and its a nice solid press.

No the arms don't present any problem. For me it is easier to have the whole front opening to work with rather than the closed C configuration. Having the arms connect to the heavy top cross member also takes all the torque off of the stand from the downstroke when re-sizing. Absolutely no frame flex.