Big Bore Mauser Action ?

375rifleman

Hello, I was just wondering how large of a rifle cartridge that a Mauser action can/will handle safely ? Could a Mauser action handle say, a 577 Snider or a wildcat based on the 577 Snider ? I know that they used to be rechambered/rebarrrled into shotguns of 12,16,and 20 gauges.

Regards,
375rifleman

I am sure someone over the past 100+ yrs. has done it. But, it'd pay to point out that the .577 Snider is a rimmed cartridge. The only Mauser '98 I'm familiar with that was designed around a rimmed cartridge is the 'Siamese Mauser'. Many, in the past, have been converted to the Jeffery case. It takes some serious skills to accomplish. Not many gunsmiths will take on the magazine and feed issues associated with some of the conversions. Many can't manage to get a 98 to feed a 7mm Rem mag or .300 Win Mag to feed reliably. These conversions can cost serious money. Mauser '98s make a fine hunting rifle when barreled-up to .30/06 or .308 class cartridges, but even then they may need some feed rail work and it's always best to start out with bottom metal that has a internal mag length of 3.400" if you're going with a .30/06 class/length cartridge or a magnum , like a .300 Win or 7mm Rem. Remember, most '98 were designed around the 7mmX57 or 8mm X 57 military cartridges, with some being 7.65mm X 53mm. Many, many fine '98s have been 'bubbaed' to death, because at one time there was no one who thought they'd "dry-up". But guess what! Good ones, that aren't a rusted piece of junk, are expensive when you do find them. Some, that are still in the configuration they were in when they left the factory are too valuable to "cut-up".

I've seen a 45/70 built on a Mauser action and it shot pretty good, hell of a bear rifle, although the fella that built it did have some magazine feeding issues with it but eventually got it straighten out.:cool:

shortgrass I do realize that the 577 Snider is a rimmed cartridge and that the Siamese Mauser is the only Mauser designed for chambering rimmed cartridges. I know that it will most likely be very costly to rebarrel/rechamber/ and convert. However here's the information I have found that made me want to possibly do the conversion. From Gary Reeder Custom Guns ' reedercustomguns.com '

"Now we get into our really big cartridges. This is our 586 GNR. This cartridge shoots a 550 grain bullet at almost 2000 fps. It is a 577 Snider with a slight shoulder on it. This one is built on a Ruger #1 rifle. Dies and data are avalible.

Now the biggest of them all, our 610 GNR. This monster killer is based on the 577 Snider case, which is readily avalible, necked up straight to .620 caliber. It shoots a 550 grain bullet at 1900 fps. More power than a 460 Weatherby cartridge but the recoil of a 12 gauge magnum shotgun. This one is chambered in the Ruger #1 rifle. Dies and data are avalible."

Regards,
375rifleman

Last edited:
Notice his big "thumpers" are all on single shots. He avoids feeding issues that way.... That'd be your major problem,,, making it feed, and actually getting more than one in a Mauser magazine box.

You're right shortgrass, although Gary only uses Ruger #1's, Thompson Center Contenders/Encores, a few lever actions, and revolvers for all of his wildcat cartridges. So that doesn't mean bolt actions won't work it just means that he doesn't do any.

375rifleman

You can't even get the rim of a .577 Snider through the Mauser collar and into the barrel where it should be! The rim on the .577 is almost 3/4" (that's .750") and the bolt on a Mauser is only about .700". Sure, about anything can be done,,,,,,, for thousands an thousands of dollars! I've been 'smithing Mauser '98s for 25yrs. There isn't much I've missed!

A 586 GNR or a 610 GNR would be ideal however a 470 Nitro based 450 KNR might be able to work. I just don't know if a 470 Nitro would be a better option for a Mauser action or not.

Regards,
375rifleman

I've seen a 45/70 built on a Mauser action and it shot pretty good, hell of a bear rifle, although the fella that built it did have some magazine feeding issues with it but eventually got it straighten out.:cool:

I was working in gun shop and we had a Siamese Mauser in 45/70 come in. To keep me from buying it ,I called one of best customers and he saved me , he bought it. These are good rifles and have been:) used in Africa for hunting. The 45/70 can take more pressure and the Ruger #1 loading data can be used.

But it's still not a .458 Winchester or a .458 Lott. Both of which can be done on a std. length Model .98 (with modifications of course). You'd not need a Siamese Mauser for it's ability to handle rimmed cartridges. I keep thinking about the .450 Marlin on an intermediate 24/47, but I just don't have much time for experimenting, lately. Should be no magazine length modifications need there, it'd be just a matter of "making it feed reliably".

But it's still not a .458 Winchester or a .458 Lott. Both of which can be done on a std. length Model .98 (with modifications of course). You'd not need a Siamese Mauser for it's ability to handle rimmed cartridges. I keep thinking about the .450 Marlin on an intermediate 24/47, but I just don't have much time for experimenting, lately. Should be no magazine length modifications need there, it'd be just a matter of "making it feed reliably".
No ,but it is close to 458 win.

Have you seen many Siamese Mausers for sale lately? Mostly rusted junk or missing critical parts (like the follower),,,,, or grossly over priced and too nice to 'cut-up'. The .458 Win. easily loads down to .45/70 levels. And it can be used in a a std length '98,,,,,, which are far more plentiful than the Siamese.

I'll tell you fellas something, I'm no girly man but when ever you touched off that Mauser 45/70 my friend had you sure as hell wanted to be hanging on. That thing would spin ya in a half a circle and a ways back, it was just about all I wanted. I still think that's where I put my neck and shoulder out, had a few trips to the chiropractor after shooting that **** thing. Hell of Bear gun though.

I had one of the Navy Arms, Siamese Mauser, 45-70's, worked well. The big attraction though was inexpensive. Eventually moved it on, but it has killed some elk. I've had the 45-70 #1, and seen them chambered full length 45-120.

The point is the rim size on the Snyder as has been said is 0.747" vs 0.608 for the 45-70, this can't be ignored. I wouldn't shoot a Siamese Mauser or #1 chambered for the Snider.

I believe the Heym Magnum Express was chambered for some of the big rimmed cartridges. The 577 Nitro with a listed rim of 0.660 is the biggest rim in the bunch.

I've never seen one, curious if the OP has ever seen what he's looking for?

I'm no gunsmith (even close), and I respect Shortgrass's opinion greatly. I've been present when things have come apart. It sucks bad.

There are some great bolt guns on rimless cartridges, some great single shot, and double rifles on big rimmed cartridges.

It's your itch scratch it if you have too. If you get as far as an actual working model I'd like to see it. If it scatters pieces all over Hell's Half Acre, that would be useful info as well. Good Luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.