Big Agnes Thunderhead SL 30

cburgin72

Does anyone have any experience with this sleeping bag? I am beginning to shop around for a good sleeping bag I can use for backpacking, as well as for camping at a campground. I'm also curious about the "cocoon style construction." Aside from the zipper sound, what would be some major pros and cons to not having a zipper?

Here is the product page on the big agnes website.
https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Bag/ThunderheadSL30

I have a Big Agnus bag. It's a nice bag.
The one thing you need to understand is that there is no insulation on the bottom of the bags. They use a pad for insulation. Mine is a self inflating one. You have to buy or bring a pad with you on trips. Can't help with the cocoon style.

I noticed that they all had pad sleeves and showed pictures with pads underneath, but I did not realize there is no insulation on the bottoms. Thank you for your reply! I learned something new!

I will take a look into down quilts. A buddy of mine has one and he loves it! never put much thought into getting one for myself until now. Thanks!

Decide what temps you'll be using this bag for and buy accordingly.

EX. I have a Western Mountaineering Megalite bag that was a 30 F. bag. After spending a cool night at 20 F. at 8,000 ft. in August on the PCT I sent it back to WM and got it "overfilled". Now it's a good 20 F. bag.

In hot weather I fully unzip it and put it over me as a quilt with the end of my pad stuck into the foot of the bag.

If you get a down bag try to get one like the BA bag with "Down Tek" or "Dri Down" DWR treatment. This keeps the down drier and warmer and the bag dries much faster.

650 fill (650 cu. in. per oz. of down) is on the low end and cheaper but heavier. (900 fill is at the top end and expensive.) My bags are 800 fill (3 season) and 750 fill (winter).

Eric B.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.