Bi pod info needed

Coloradokiwi

Giday guys,
First post on this site.
I have a stock 375 ruger which I am reloading 225 grain and 270grain Hornady rounds, anyway I enjoy shooting off the bench and elk and deer hunting here in Colorado.
My first question is I want to install a bi pod I have selected the harris S series but height is the question 6 - 9 or 9 - 13 inches.
Next question is which is the better leg type, notched or standard, give reasons for your choice.
Hope this is not to much at once.:)

Cheers Coloradokiwi.

Last edited:
My first question is I want to install a bi pod I have selected the harris S series but height is the question 6 - 9 or 9 - 13 inches.

9-13" is what I use. I find the 6-9" to low for field purposes.

Next question is which is the better leg type, notched or standard, give reasons for your choice.

notched.....getting set to the proper height is much easier as the legs spring out instead of in. Tilt the rifle to one side and hit the button, it will lock on whatever notch is closest. Tilt it the other way and hit the button....your done. There is no monkeying around with a twist lock while holding the leg out, not to mention there is no way for the leg to slip under recoil.

I agree with magman on the bipods. I do use both the 6-9 (for the bench) and 9-13( in the field) as the 6-9 can be hard to use in the field.

9-13 the way to go in the feild. unless u have super long grass where u live.go with the notched model. quick and simple.i dont know where id be if i didnt have mine.

Well we wouldn't want things to be unanimous would we?

There are times when the shot is at such a high angle that you need a longer bipod. So it is good to have around one of the really high ones for those steep uphill shot or for tall sagebrush and grass. You should just have it somewhere but not depend upon it for the majority of your hunting. As everyone says for 95 percent of your shots the notched 9-13 is just great.

Since I don't know how you are hunting I'll list the options I have to take on my trips.

1) 9-13 S type bipod (w podlock and notched legs )

2) Stoney Point shooting sticks for when I need a little more height.

3)Carbon Fiber Tripod.

Sometimes I take my good camera with me and or my spotting scope. For this I have a quick change shoe on my spotting scope and camera, I also made a V rest with that fits the tripod head.

When I am hunting with a rifle I almost always have at least two of these.

Southpaw

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.