• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

Best way to ship live ammo???

UPS Simple Rate is not available for Hazardous Materials.
UPS Daily Rates (See page 72, left side).

:( - disappointed when I learned this

Ammunition can be shipped using UPS simple rate. The clerk at my UPS hub suggested I use it for shipping ammo just this past Monday.

Both UPS and FedEx Ground will ship ammunition, but UPS is slightly easier as FedEx requires a form to be filled out for each parcel.

Ammunition is not considered a hazardous material, it is considered a "limited quantity" material. Meaning the maximum weight per parcel is 66 pounds.

It must have the limited quantity sticker on at least 2 sides, and each label must be at least 4"x4".

Ahhhhhh.......sooner or later he will get a call from a Federal Postal inspector .....and he will tell him that's against the law.

T
I know a guy that has shipped lots of ammo in usps flat rate boxes, nothing negative has happened

This is nothing but crazy advice. Ammunition can only be shipped via ground service. USPS flat rate boxes are very often transported via air. What do you think would happen if there was an accident and a package of ammo was on the plane? He would likely be accused of contributing to the accident and possibly charged with murder.

Both UPS and FedEx Ground will ship ammunition, but UPS is slightly easier as FedEx requires a form to be filled out for each parcel.
My loca Fedex refused me until I do the hazard class. I'm sure if I went back and had a different boy scout at the counter the answer could be difffernt.

Screenshot_20210321-203806_Chrome.jpg

Just says ship center. But it's the bigger hub here. Ups was easy but they were closed for a few days unexpectedly. The little ups store won't do ammo. Only the big hub. So I tried fed ex but it was no go.

If a ups truck caught fire and had a pile of ammo it could be quite a popcorn popper I suppose. Thats why they don't ship it on planes. It would need more attention paid. Fedex has a shipping training class you have to do to ship it. No thanks. Just use ups
Restricted yes, ground only...true hazmat no, per ups website... I have account and they pickup at my place..
"Further, since this shipment is not being transported by aircraft, you may ship the package without a hazard label."

Just call your UPS store. We have shipped ammo through them no problem. They even accept long guns (maybe handguns too, but no personal experience with that) for shipment, although they ship them USPS. Going to our Hub is terrible, as it is open 4-6 pm only.

Just call your UPS store. We have shipped ammo through them no problem. They even accept long guns (maybe handguns too, but no personal experience with that) for shipment, although they ship them USPS. Going to our Hub is terrible, as it is open 4-6 pm only.
Your lucky, my UPS hub is only open 5:30-6:30.

Does the UPS store require you to put the two 4"x4" minimum quantity stickers on the package? Curious because the UPS website clearly states that ammunition can not be shipped from a UPS Store, only a UPS customer care center at a hub.

Also, I believe shipping rates are higher at a UPS Store than at the hub.

Your lucky, my UPS hub is only open 5:30-6:30.

Does the UPS store require you to put the two 4"x4" minimum quantity stickers on the package? Curious because the UPS website clearly states that ammunition can not be shipped from a UPS Store, only a UPS customer care center at a hub.

Also, I believe shipping rates are higher at a UPS Store than at the hub.
We just had it packaged and addressed and they did the rest. As to their regs, I just called, got a nice guy and he said sure, just bring it over. While a little off topic, was worried about sending the rifle directly to her rather than to an FFL. It is legal, as she is a resident of the same state (active duty stations are not legally, the states of residence for service members unless they so choose). Again, no big deal. Didn't care about the rates as it was last fall and sending ammo to my daughter and there was none for her to buy. Don't remember the price being exorbitant though. Then again, we've shipped things to them in Korea, France, Germany, and the Netherlands so maybe we are inured to shipping costs.

One more important note on the subject. When I was in line to ship some pistol ammo last Monday, the guy in front of me was shipping ammo also. He was dhipping a case of 5.56 ammo in the original box. It had two small (approximately 2x2) minimum quantity labels printed directly on the box, on opposing sides.

He was turned away because they were not big enough, and because they must be black on white, not black on cardboard color.

The clerk explained that efective as of 02/?/2021, UPS clerks are no longer permitted to provide the minimum quantity label to customers.

He left ****ed off with his package and the fellow 2 behind me turn around and walked out as well.

That's just weird.. if they are going to require a certain sticker... why wouldn't they have them right there at the counter??!