best way to clean fowling --

Catbrain

i am working on an older savage with a lightweight barrel-- in 7mm mag.
Don't know it's history. when I look into the muzzle with a lite aiming crossways--- I can see a white looking residue that looks like its in the grooves. Looks all most like leading--- but I don't see how that could be.
I have cleaned it with regular hoppe's and then wit Iosso non imbeding paste. That seemed to help- but I can still see some. Did not see any green residue on my patches. I have heard of people using CLR or lime away for attacking difficult copper deposits. Though some people think it is not safe to use. (it's some kind of acidic mixture)

I kind of don't want there to be much fowling in there which could raise pressures. No way to know how many rounds through this gun or what kind they were----

Suggestions ?

I would run a couple of wet patches of kroil into the barrel and let set for 4-5 days - maybe refresh with kroil every day. Then take a wet patch with kroil and add iosso paste to wet patch. Run kroil-iosso patch through barrel about 25 times, then take brush with iosso paste and scrub at least 25 times. Wipe out and clean up and see what you got.

Repeat above if needed.

Last edited:
OP I would get wipeout (you don't need the accelerator; it makes it work more quickly but not better) and let it sit overnight, then clean it the next day. When you clean it the next day, use a nylon brush and Boretech copper cleaner (or another cleaner that helps dissolve copper and gives a blue indication on patches), using mostly patches but hit it with the brush if needed. If needed, use Wipeout again and let it sit again until the next day, then clean again.

ETA - you should check for a carbon ring as well. Do you have a borescope?

I have not heard of wipeout. I will order some of that.
I have a bore scope but it may be too fat to go into the neck area. (its an old fiber optic one from the 1970's)

Is "sweets 7.62 " good for copper removal ?

I will use Hoppes 9, and brass or nylon brushes to get the carbon fouling out. Follow that up with sharp shooter patch out copper removal. It usually takes about 10-12 patches jagged through the bore to get the bore cleaned out.

For extremely fouled bores,,,, I cut the bottom hem of an old t-shirt at the seam. I then soak it in the patch out liquid, pull it into the bore using my cleaning rod and a loop tip. Leave the soaked, cotton hem in the bore. Let it set overnight, then pull it out and jag a few patches through the bore until the patches come out as clean as you want them to. to finish, I will jag an oil patch through the bore followed by a dry patch.

Last edited:
Is "sweets 7.62 " good for copper removal ?
Yes it is - just do not let it soak in it more than 10-15 minutes. And make sure you run several dry patches right after, followed by several with Hoppe's #9 or like to clear the bore of Sweets and get some lube back in it.

Kg1 for carbon
kg 12 for copper not harmful to Bore
they also make a polish that is easier to apply to patch,
compaired to kroil and jb or isssos
i dont remember the no. On that bottle

My experience with older savages, don't obsess over getting it squeaky clean. Many of those barrels are roughly finished and need a little fouling to shoot ok. Then it will likely go south as it fouls more. Best thing I did for mine was rebarrel.