Best video camera for LR footage? Digiscope or camcorder?

EXPRESS

I'm looking at the Canon vixia hf r52, which has a 32x optical zoom and 57X extended zoom, and I'm trying to figure out if it's worthwhile buying a digiscoping adapter and using any camera or if a 32X-57X zoom is going to work well enough at the end of its range.

The people who know enough about the topic will guess that I don't know anything about it, but my logic is that 32X in a scope or spotting scope is usually enough to clearly see what's going on.

I have a Redfield 20-40 spotting scope which while decent, probably isn't going to give the best clarity, hence being a little hesitant with the digiscope idea.

Which would work better?

I'm looking at the Canon vixia hf r52, which has a 32x optical zoom and 57X extended zoom, and I'm trying to figure out if it's worthwhile buying a digiscoping adapter and using any camera or if a 32X-57X zoom is going to work well enough at the end of its range.

The people who know enough about the topic will guess that I don't know anything about it, but my logic is that 32X in a scope or spotting scope is usually enough to clearly see what's going on.

I have a Redfield 20-40 spotting scope which while decent, probably isn't going to give the best clarity, hence being a little hesitant with the digiscope idea.

Which would work better?

Not sure about the "best" but check out the adapters >>> https://www.phoneskope.com

Last edited:
I have a Cannon VIXIA HFR42 which is 32 optical and 53X advanced zoom. I use the camera all the time but haven't used it for things way out there much. But while playing with it once you start to zoom a tri-pod is necessary. At full power I can't hold it still enough and it is difficult finding the object in the view finder.

Tried zooming in on my horses free hand that were at my 450 yard target and it was really hard to get them. I made a handle that screws into the tri-pod mount and that really helps but at full zoom still difficult.

But I really like the camera and try to keep it close all the time. Had to buy some new editing software (Cyberlink) because of the ACHD format. The video it produces is really high quality but the file size is huge and needs to be edited down to upload to the internet.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.