Best short 6mm for DBM or blind mag feeding

Wilderness Blacktail

im surrounded by the marble mtn, trinity alps ans
Hello,
I have a howa mini in 6ARC and I love the cartridge but the action not so much.

Looking to put together something in that same performance class (small case, quick twist 6mm) on a different action. With there only being 2 current bolt rifles im aware of with that have that bolt face im exploring standard bolt options as well, even .378 action wildcats.

Of the Dasher, BR, BRa etc. which ones feed well in a standard hunting rifle BDL/ADL setup?

Are there any specific actions that feed these better than others?

Thanks

Last edited:
A 6TCU or a standard 6X45 works great in a standard 700 action and BDL/ADL magazine set up. Plus, if you want to go DBM it will work with any 5.56 AR magazine.
Thanks HandgunHTR, do you happen to know the max c.o.l of the .223 700 boxes?
If its long enough to make runnin the heavies worth it than thats a fantastic option.

VinceMule what action is ur 6-204 on? Whats its max c.o.l? That lil case is intruiging as well.

My 6/204 is a swich barrel 700 with no modifications, I will have to get back to you on the col. Both the two 22/204s are amazing as well in terms of performance with accuracy, barrels should last a long time.

The problem with this caliber is that Winchester is not making much of any kind of brass for the civilian market.

Having said that, the 6 TCU or a 6-223 AI is a viable option.

Thanks HandgunHTR, do you happen to know the max c.o.l of the .223 700 boxes?
If its long enough to make runnin the heavies worth it than thats a fantastic option.

VinceMule what action is ur 6-204 on? Whats its max c.o.l? That lil case is intruiging as well.

I modified the standard .223 700 BDL box that came with my donor. It was a Rem 700 Varmint chambered in .223. The standard .223 BDL/ADL come with a spacer in the back that is made of pressed metal and is tack welded in. Three small cuts with a cut-off wheel in a dremel and it was out. Then I took a piece of 1/4" aluminum bar stock and trimmed it to the dimensions of the back of the magazine and inserted it with some JB Weld. Clamped it together while the epoxy cured and now I can easily load my 7TCU rounds with 120 grain Nolser BTs with a COAL of 2.430" and I have plenty of room to spare if I want to go heavier.
I thought I had some pictures of it, but I can't find them right now. I will try to snap some later today and post them for you.

I modified the standard .223 700 BDL box that came with my donor. It was a Rem 700 Varmint chambered in .223. The standard .223 BDL/ADL come with a spacer in the back that is made of pressed metal and is tack welded in. Three small cuts with a cut-off wheel in a dremel and it was out. Then I took a piece of 1/4" aluminum bar stock and trimmed it to the dimensions of the back of the magazine and inserted it with some JB Weld. Clamped it together while the epoxy cured and now I can easily load my 7TCU rounds with 120 grain Nolser BTs with a COAL of 2.430" and I have plenty of room to spare if I want to go heavier.
I thought I had some pictures of it, but I can't find them right now. I will try to snap some later today and post them for you.
This is helping a ton gents, thanks! A switch barrel setup sounds way too good to not do. Run a short .25 one day and a 6mm or .224 the next.
Wasnt it John Wooters who had the .25 on a Sako full stock? The Copperhead... maybe.
On the mag box mods did you need to replace the follower for a longer one that fills the space more?

This is helping a ton gents, thanks! A switch barrel setup sounds way too good to not do. Run a short .25 one day and a 6mm or .224 the next.
Wasnt it John Wooters who had the .25 on a Sako full stock? The Copperhead... maybe.
On the mag box mods did you need to replace the follower for a longer one that fills the space more?

No. There is a bit of a gap at the back, but not enough to affect function.

Hello,
I have a howa mini in 6ARC and I love the cartridge but the action not so much.

Looking to put together something in that same performance class (small case, quick twist 6mm) on a different action. With there only being 2 current bolt rifles im aware of with that have that bolt face im exploring standard bolt options as well, even .378 action wildcats.

Of the Dasher, BR, BRa etc. which ones feed well in a standard hunting rifle BDL/ADL setup?

Are there any specific actions that feed these better than others?

Thanks
All the br variants are short/stubby and would feed best from an aics mag utilizing a spacer kit. The 6gt would be easier for bdl and holds 2gr more than the dasher, very capable lil cartridge. I see no reason not to run a 6mm creed or 6x47, use a slow cool burning powder at moderate velocity and they'll last near as long as a dasher running top end loads.