Best Scope with Hold Over lines

I have a h59 in an S&B. I use it for rifle matches. Fast easy to use and bc it is broken down to .2 hashes, I can hold .1 mils that my ballistics program gives me. I also use a Swarovski brx. I have a data card taped to that scope to tell me the holds. I have to remember to make sure I'm dialed to 12 power for the holds to be correct. That isn't an issue with the FFP s&b, if not for the weight I'd have an S&B on my hunting rifle.

You asked for "absolutely best glass" that eliminated all but 3-4 brands. I have several swarovski X5's....glass is second to none.
The BRM reticle is of the type your looking for.
It is a second focal plane optic, but lighter weight than the other "best glass" qualifiers.

Is the BRM a match reticle?? I have heard of the BRT, BRH, and the BRX but the BRM is a new one to me.

edited to add: Looked it up, and it does look interesting. Thanks for the heads-up jvandersnick

Last edited:
Take a look at Tract scopes. I have the 3-15x42 with a BDC reticle. They have a ballistic program that has virtually every caliber and bullet type made. Awesome program and great scope for the price. You buy factory direct, no middle man.

While this is not what I use as a hunting reticle/scope, for PRS/tactical competition where "reticle use only" stages in PRS/tactical comprtitiin where intensive use of the reticle, at ranges from 100 to 1000+ yards are frequent, I have become a big fan of the Tremor3 reticle. In addition to reticle use for elevation adjustments, added wind corrections are easily and accurately made with the innovative design of this system(described in the attachments below). My scope is a Nightforce ATACR Fi/Tremor3. The superb NF F1 glass, controls layout, turret accuracy, and reliability, makes this scope my personal favorite for the applications described with the S&B being a close second. This is largely due to the higher cost of acquiring a S&B PMII with a specialized reticle such as the Tremor3. The glass quality and turret accuracy of the NF F1, IMO, is very close, to the S&B.

B5EF5285-8D43-4FB9-AB2B-3F4BBEF0389E.png

BDC reticles are "great" IF:
1. you shoot the same ammo used for making the BDC reticle
2. you shoot at the same altitude used for the BDC reticle
3. you shoot at the same temperature used to make the BDC reticle
4. Your rifle muzzle velocity is the same as use to make the BDC reticle.

"BDC reticles lie to you after 300 yards." (From an article in SNIPER magazine)

For a good and relatively inexpensive scope I highly recommend a SWFA SS 3 - 15 x 42 with FFP reticle, mil/mil turrets/reticle and side focus knob. The glass is very good for the $700. price (as good as my $1,300. Bushnell ERS competition scope).
The reticle is easy to use for hold over, especially if your laser rangefinder is set to read in mils.

Why are SWFA scopes such a great buy?
1. no middlemen
2. no advertising
3. "Made in Japan", NOT China!
4. lenses held in cassettes for maximum recoil resistance in both directions

Otherwise go to $1,000.+ scopes from Bushnell, Vortex, Leupold etc.

Eric B.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.