Best Scope with Hold Over lines

If you know the dope for your particular rifle/ammo combination, you can use the marks on an MOA or Mil reticle for gold overs. This gives you flexibility, as it isn't tied to a specific cartridge.

I have a Redfield 6-18 with hold over lines. Don't use it any more, would be interested in selling.

A 4.5x14x40 Leupold VXIII with the B&C reticle served me quite well years ago for my 500 yard max hunting. Calibration consisted of shooting my 200 yard zerod scope at a dot at 500 yards using a large sheet of paper. Dial the power ring to align with the dot and the 500 yard group, and the rest of the substentions were on. Conventionally shaped bullets work best with this reticle. Today, were I to choose a scope for reticle use to 500 yards, it would be a FFP variable(NF, S&B, etc) to 18X with a basic MOAR or Mil-R style scale reticle. The Velocity Reticle on my NF G7 scope also worked nicely using the same zero method to determine the power setting described above.
Shown:Leupold B&C reticle
E079C04E-017B-4D26-9A56-B4AA3C7BD24A.gif

I have Vortex Viper HSLRs with the BDC reticle in the second plane, drop marks are 1.5, 4.5 and 7 moa if memory serves. The wind hold marks are 2 moa. That's at max magnification, then if you turn down the power you can double, triple, or quadruple the subtensions. That is a lot to remember in the heat of the moment. I have since moved on to the FFP models with the "Christmas tree" style reticles. They look busier, but are actually easier to use. Can be a bit pricey though, depending upon brand.

Whatever you get, make sure it is a FFP so the hash's are always correct. Otherwise its a nightmare when hunting.

Also I second getting the Burris Veracity. its quickly becoming my favorite hunting scope. Great glass and great reticle. I'd recommend getting the Varmint reticle as it is simply thinner lines which works great on the FFP scopes.

I would spend the money on a S&B if they offer the reticle.

If your willing to spend S&B money I would find anything with a Horus reticle (H59, Tremor, etc) or something similar and learn to use that. It doesn't have a hash line for every hundred yards like I think you are looking for (those generally are inaccurate anyways) but it has a grid system that's easy to calculate your hold over values. Example, mine has a hash every .5 mil and I zero at 100 so on my 280 Ackley Improved my reticle holdovers are:
  • 0.5Mil hash: 234 meters
  • 1.0Mil hash: 317 meters
  • 1.5Mil hash: 392 meters
  • 2.0Mil hash: 458 meters
  • 2.5Mil hash: 522 meters
So if i need to shoot at 475 meters I hold just about half way between my 2.0 and 2.5 mil hash. I know this isn't exactly what you want but I used to be like you and want BDC style reticles and a friend convinced me to try a Mil style reticle and i never looked. Just my 2 cents though, take it how ever you want.

I agree with most here. I think some people over state having nice round numbers on a BDC (1.5MOA, 6 MOA, 11MOA) etc. Any way you look at it, you will have points of reference. Most likely, you will not have perfect holds for 100 ya, 200 yd, etc.

Just learn your ref marks and what yardage they correspond to.

Do you mean a custom turret?
No, they put a new reticle in the scope. Cross hair was 200 hundred yard zero, one dot below and three above for shots out to 500 yards. It was ten years ago that I had it done, if I remember correctly for about $125.

You asked for "absolutely best glass" that eliminated all but 3-4 brands. I have several swarovski X5's....glass is second to none.
The BRM reticle is of the type your looking for.
It is a second focal plane optic, but lighter weight than the other "best glass" qualifiers.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.