Best scope mounts for SAKO 75?

SAKO75HUNTER

i stripped a hex head screw on my optilocks for the 15th time. I do like the plastic insertc to maximize contact and minimize torquing of the scope. What other mounts are worth a look> ANyone try S&K rings?

Re: Bets scope mounts for SAKO 75

Near manufacturing makes a very nice one peice base that fits right over the factory tapered dovetail. You can use many choices of rings with his base.

[ QUOTE ]
Near manufacturing makes a very nice one peice base that fits right over the factory tapered dovetail. You can use many choices of rings with his base.

[/ QUOTE ]

What he said. I screwed around w/several different options before trying the Near base. Trust me, just spend the money and get one. You will be much happier w/it than anything anyone else has to offer.

He'll do them in either SS or blue. Somewher around $150 and worth every penny.

If your in a hurry, this might not be the best route to go.
I know he has been real busy lately, but you can find all the info you'll need on his website: www.nearmfg.com

It slides on tight. You take a wooden block and tap it on with a hammer. He provides screws and it has holes with threads so that you can have your action drilled and tapped. I have not mounted mine yet. I'm thinking about using Epoxy to hold mine in place, it's a good chance it would stay in place by just the tight dovetail fit unless you have a muzzle brake. If you have a muzzle brake better either screw it on or Epoxy it on. I had mine on but removed it because I'm wanting to use the Leupold QRW low 30mm rings and the scope turret housing is about .015 to big to fit without bottoming out on the high points of the base. I'm wanting to machine .015-.020 off four of the islands to clear using the low ring. I think he "Richard Near" still have these in inventory in Stainless Steel. The cost is $159.00 plus shipping.

thanks mine would be going on a .308 or SAKO III action

does 159.00 include the 1" rings as well?

I do not want to add a lot of elevation nor do i want the scope mounted too high with the base sitting on top of dovetails.

do you have a picture of how yours looks?

if so, and you cant post it on here, please email it to me as i would like to see it.

[email protected]

Hi Guys,
I thought Near Mfg. only made bases for the Sako TRG series,
please correct me if i am wrong, because i too have been looking for a suitable tactical base for a Sako 75.

Ian.

"I meant to shoot the pike but the duck got in the way"

Hi; sorry for taking so long to get back to you. I could not find this thread yesterday. The base does not include the rings for $159.00. The rings are around $175.00 extra if you buy them with the base. If you buy the rings only they are around $209.00 for a set. Richard Near is selling them pretty fast at that and was backed up when I talked to him last week. He told me you could use the Mark 4 Leupold rings or the Burris ZEE rings with his base. I'm going to use the Leupold QRW on mine only because they are the lowest setting rings I can find to fit 30mm tube. Sorry but I have no picture of mine nor do I have a Dig. camera. You can check out his web site to see pics. I'm not sure of the web address but you can google "Near Manufacturing scope" and find it.

Near may still have inventory on the Sako 75 stainless Steel bases in the 10 min. slope because thats what I bought at the time, just two-three weeks ago. He may have other Sako 75 bases too?? I'd just give him a call and ask. You can find his phone number on his web site.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.