Best off the shelf AR-10 in .308

wiiicgun

Hey there, my son is lookin to pick up an AR in .308. He originally was looking at a custom, but figured it was worth checking out the factory stuff as well. Opinions on best (most accurate) out there in .308 are appreciated. Anyone with a super accurate custom please chime in as well. Thanks

Hey there, my son is lookin to pick up an AR in .308. He originally was looking at a custom, but figured it was worth checking out the factory stuff as well. Opinions on best (most accurate) out there in .308 are appreciated. Anyone with a super accurate custom please chime in as well. Thanks

A GAP-10 from GA Precision is as good as it gets, and they are less expensive than some of the big names. They start at around $2,500 before options, and you can customize them and change calibers if you want. Mine shoots under 1/2 MOA, which is stellar for a gas gun.

Larue OBR is what has the tactical shooting comunity a buzz as of late. The two NCOs that won this years SOCOM sniper challenge both shot the OBR.

The new Larue Predator with the heavy barrel is an option as well.

LMTs MWS is another great option with the abilty to switch calibers and is the one I am getting.

I'm not into GAP dont drink the cool aid nothing wrong with them I'm sure, but no need to wait on a custom build in an AR platform.

Koolaid or not, the GAP-10 is the least expensive of all of those listed, GAP's customer service is fantastic, and it WILL shoot bugholes! The fact that you get to choose which caliber, barrel length, rail length, color, stock, fluting, break, etc. is pretty cool as well. I wanted a Geissele trigger and Ergo grip on mine, so I sent them the parts and they installed the stuff before the rifle shipped. I think it took a month or so from start to finish. OR you could by one off the shelf from somewhere else for more money and get what you get. No brainer.

Koolaid or not, the GAP-10 is the least expensive of all of those listed, GAP's customer service is fantastic, and it WILL shoot bugholes! The fact that you get to choose which caliber, barrel length, rail length, color, stock, fluting, break, etc. is pretty cool as well. I wanted a Geissele trigger and Ergo grip on mine, so I sent them the parts and they installed the stuff before the rifle shipped. I think it took a month or so from start to finish. OR you could by one off the shelf from somewhere else for more money and get what you get. No brainer.
GA precsion list there rifle at 2600$ plus, a quick google search for an LMT MWS shows prices around 2300$ and the Larue predator is 2495$ so I dont know were you got you info. But they are both less money than the cool aid.

Armalite! But mainly because i have one for sale in the classifieds. I would not say gap is an off the shelf rifle , but they the do nice work.

Oh, so you're comparing the entry model rigs to the GAP-10? That makes a lot of sense. These are probably better comparisons though...

Here's the LMT with the stainless barrel at $3,396 with a 14-16 week wait and no option to customize.

.308 Modular Weapon System, 16" Stainless Steel Flat Matte - Featured Products

And the OBR at $2,995 with no custom options, and approximate average accuracy of sub MOA, approximately.

18 Inch LaRue Tactical Stealth OBR (Optimized Battle Rifle) Complete 7.62 Rifle | LaRue Tactical

The GAP rifle drives nails and 1/2 MOA or less is pretty routine. The koolaid is good, fella! You show me your thousand yard group and I'll show you mine.

Oh, so you're comparing the entry model rigs to the GAP-10? That makes a lot of sense. These are probably better comparisons though...

Here's the LMT with the stainless barrel at $3,396 with a 14-16 week wait and no option to customize.

.308 Modular Weapon System, 16" Stainless Steel Flat Matte - Featured Products

And the OBR at $2,995 with no custom options, and approximate average accuracy of sub MOA, approximately.

18 Inch LaRue Tactical Stealth OBR (Optimized Battle Rifle) Complete 7.62 Rifle | LaRue Tactical

The GAP rifle drives nails and 1/2 MOA or less is pretty routine. The koolaid is good, fella! You show me your thousand yard group and I'll show you mine.
Your dumb

it your looking for lower end price,, probably will hear some flack for this, but I have been invloved with 5 DPMS ar-10's, all heavy barrel, 3 -308's and 2 6.5 creedmores, all were 1/2 min guns, only real problems I have seen on later ones is primer hole is a bit big on really hot loads, have seen a couple pierced primers

Wiicgun,

Your criteria centers around only one thing...Accuracy. A factory 308AR with a decent barrel can outshoot most shooters out there. My factory DPMS 308 is capable of printing very small roups with handloads it likes. My smallest group shot is 5-shots measuring .144" at 100yards (havent been able to duplicate this...next tightest group was .252" @ 100yards). This is with a factory barrel that had the diameter reduced under the handguard to .750" in order to lighten it up for service as my primary hunting rifle.

Accuracy around ARs centers around two main things; barrel and trigger. Of course, other secondary factors such as quality of ammo, shooter skill, good rests, etc also factor in, however, no combination of these secondary factors can compensate for crappy trigger or crappy barrel.

You can buy a cheap (factory) AR and upgrade to a match grade barrel and an outstanding trigger for a fraction of the cost of buying from a custom shop. However, the resale value will never match what you can get by selling an AR from a custom shop.

If your son is looking to buy a longrange beast for shooting F-class, highpower, or other competitions, then by all means, spend the extra dough and order something from a custom shop (I highly recommend GAP-10 by George Gardner) if he is a casual shooter, and just looking for something he can get respectable groups with, then save money and buy a factory set-up. Spend the extra money on optics and relaoding components and shootout the factory barrel. This is not to say he cant compete with a factory gun, just that the custom guns wil be known quantity from day one.

My $0.02.

Send_It!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.