Best off the shelf 6.5 Creedmoor?

MasonG

I want to get into a 6.5 CM but I want to stick with an off the shelf gun. Except I'm completely willing to put it in a new stock if needed. I want a backpack gun that I can use factory loads on as I don't reload and don't currently want to. I'm a huge Leupold fan so it would be getting a VX-3. Which ones should I look at?

I don't know. But i been saying for years, if Remington would chamber one of their upper end varmint rifles in 6.5cm they would sell a train load of them.

Tikka makes a heavy barreled one. They should start making them in the t3x. If not I would get a cheap Savage and restock it.

I don't know. But i been saying for years, if Remington would chamber one of their upper end varmint rifles in 6.5cm they would sell a train load of them.

Absolutely, I know for a fact I'd buy one in a heartbeat. Feel like they're really missing out but I guess they're doing just fine how they are.

Tikka makes a heavy barreled one. They should start making them in the t3x. If not I would get a cheap Savage and restock it.

I'll be honest, a tikka in 270 would probably be what I'd go with if I didn't get a 6.5. But nevertheless I have thought about the Savages. I have two Savage 10s that are wildly accurate so I wouldn't be opposed to another Savage.

Cabelas has a special going on a Savage Model 10T with 5R rifling and detachable magazine for $500.

That will be the most bang for the buck out there.
The best thing about a Savage is, if it doesn't shoot out of the box (most do), you can always fiddle with it and do something. Any gun without a barrel nut you are stuck. If a Savage won't shoot you can fiddle with headspace, action face and lug and bolt. Add in some bedding and unless the barrel looks like an S, it will shoot.

Oh boy I might be in trouble haha that's a really good deal. The 6.5 and the 308 are very appealing at that price. Gonna have to think about this one, thanks for the heads up guys

I got a Ruger American Predator in 6.5 CM and it is accurate! You can also get it in the standard American form with the lighter barrel.

Recently I added a Boyd's Classic laminated stock (1 lb. heavier) and a Timney trigger to my RAP. This week I'll be going out to re-sight it and I think it will shoot better, say 1/2 MOA where before it was doing 3/4 MOA with Hornady 143 gr. ELD-X ammo.
I'll put the lighter factory plastic stock back on when I hunt at high altitude (above 8,000 ft.) I kinda thing the POI don't change too much but it's always best to check zero before hunting. That Boyd's stock is just beautiful and precisely made.

Soon I'll start reloading for it and its "big brother", my Ruger Precision Rifle, also in 6.5 CM.

If I wanted to spend more money I would have bought the Tikka in 6.5 CM. But I can't see how it would be any more accurate than my RAP.

BTW, check out the "6.5 Creedmoor Forum". Lots of good info there.

Eric B.

I recently bought a Bergarra Stalker in a 6.5 CM. It is very accurate with the factory loads I have been shooting. As soon as hunting season is over I will work on a load for it. It is a nice rifle. Comes with a Timney trigger. I do wish the barrel was threaded.
That Savage is a very good deal.

I picked up a Ruger American Predator in 6.5, stuck it in a Boyds stock..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 270
This is another in the same work up, but velocity was too slow.. I think I can play with seating and get the 42.5 grain load to shoot the same..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 137
Another shooting the 140 ELD M...
Next I'm going to try and get the 147 ELD M to 2700 fps...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 142
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.