Best Night Vision Scope for under $2000

JimFromTN

This has probably been covered in the past but I am seriously considering purchasing a night vision scope for pig hunting. I haven't been able to justify in the past because I only go once or twice a year. Last year one of the guys I hunt with bought a leupold lto tracker so of course I bought one. I saw more pigs this last time than I have ever seen before because I was able to see them off in the woods. Unfortunately, all I had on my rifle was a scope with a green light. The lights seem to work great if the hog has his head down and eating. Every time I put the light on a hog that wasn't eating, it spooked and ran off. I missed probably a half a dozen opportunities because of this. As a result, I am now convinced myself that I must have a night vision scope on my rifle. I really like thermal after seeing what a relatively cheap thermal can do. Gen 1 is pretty much out of the question. I have only been able to find 3 that are in current production

atn thor 4 384 1.25-5x
atn thor lt 160 3-6x
Pulsar Core RXQ30V

Armasight used to have one in that price range but for some reason have discontinued them.

Last edited:
I'm looking at Sightmark Wraith right now. Friend has one on his AR for coyote/hog control on land. Looking at one for AR in 450 Bushmaster. $599 retail but $499 seems to be "street price"

I have looked at those as well as the ATN smart HD's. The both look like great scopes and I have considered them and almost bought them in the past but wanted to wait for later releases to get the bugs out. The only reason I am looking at spending more on the thermals is because I saw how great a cheap thermal works at seeing heat signatures and also I hunt wooded swamp areas where it seems like the thermals do better. It would not surprise me if my opinion was completely wrong.

If you are hunting in woods and not in open pastures, then Thermal is what you want, the IR light will reflect on under brush and cause you not to see anything. I have a wooded Creek on my property and had something that was walking in the under brush, all it did with my Night Vision IR was white out my scope, you cannot see past the first layer of brush. At least a thermal would give me a heat signature.

This has probably been covered in the past but I am seriously considering purchasing a night vision scope for pig hunting. I haven't been able to justify in the past because I only go once or twice a year. Last year one of the guys I hunt with bought a leupold lto tracker so of course I bought one. I saw more pigs this last time than I have ever seen before because I was able to see them off in the woods. Unfortunately, all I had on my rifle was a scope with a green light. The lights seem to work great if the hog has his head down and eating. Every time I put the light on a hog that wasn't eating, it spooked and ran off. I missed probably a half a dozen opportunities because of this. As a result, I am now convinced myself that I must have a night vision scope on my rifle. I really like thermal after seeing what a relatively cheap thermal can do. Gen 1 is pretty much out of the question. I have only been able to find 3 that are in current production

atn thor 4 384 1.25-5x
atn thor lt 160 3-6x
Pulsar Core RXQ30V

Armasight used to have one in that price range but for some reason have discontinued them.

Any update on what you purchased ? Looking hard at the ATN Right now

Have you ask the fellow that goes by the user name Zen Archery? He seems to do a lot of videos of piggy blasting in the dark. Seems like the kind of fella that would have helpful knowledge and be willing to share it.

Last edited:

atn thor 4 384 1.25-5x
atn thor lt 160 3-6x
Pulsar Core RXQ30V

ATN has the worst CS reputation of all the companies. When their scopes work, they work well. When they don't, it can be a nightmare to get serviced. The Thors have more features than the RXQ30V, however, but Pulsar has a reputation for excellent customer service. The problem with all three is that they are lower resolution and the images typically look perpetually out of focus except at exceptionally short distances, and even then, sometimes.

One of the major problems with using thermal is confusing animals. A deer in belly high grass with its head down can look like a hog. On occasion, a calf can look like a hog. Coyotes can be confused with deer. There is a property we used to hunt where guests commonly confused jackrabbits for coyotes. Distinguishing between the landowner's dog and a coyote can be difficult. You don't want to shoot the wrong animal.

The scopes you have listed are what I call 'barnyard' thermals. When I worked with Third Coast Thermal, we had folks that would buy low end thermal and usually within a few months were looking to sell it off for something better due to frustration of use - except one guy. He needed the cheapest thermal he could get his hands on to shoot varmints raiding his barnyard. He wasn't interested in hunting, but extermination and it was all short range shoot. His farthest shot would only be 75 yards and much of his shooting was inside of 20 yards. He got an RXQ30V and loved it. It did all he needed to do in his barnyard. He could tell the difference between a chicken and a fox/coyote, opossum, and raccoon or any of those vermin and his cattle. If it wasn't cow or chicken, it was getting shot.

My suggestion to you is that if you are only hunting with them only once or twice a year, rent quality, higher end thermal from some place like UNV https://www.ultimatenightvision.com/Rentals-s/1820.htm You will have the benefit of using a quality product and being able to identify properly and shoot at greater distances.

If you are dead set on buying something at this time, get a Sightmark Wraith night vision scope to hold you over until you save up enough money for a decent thermal scope.

Really, thinking about it, renting sounds like the best idea.

Pulsar is where is at for thermal. I have an ATn xsight (digital), and a buddy has the thermal version (lowest res I think it's 320 x 240. I don't think either are worth the money. I now run a pulsar xq50 monocular for spotting, and have two armasight gen2 hd clipons. The res and quality on the pulsar xq50 are day and night better. If you go with a thermal scope, get at least a 384x288. Night vision is a lot cheaper option and you can id animals way better than lower budget thermal. I coyote hunt a lot in the winter and have had a few times I couldn't tell if I was looking at a bobcat or a coyote with the thermal. But with the nv it isn't a problem. Pulsar has just released a bunch of new scopes on the market. Check out the Thermion line. Also, ATN flat out lies about battery life. Mine was a 8 hour claim. I got about Two hours with expensive lithium batteries. Try to find one with hi capacity rechargable lithium batteries.

I've heard that the Thermion line is a disappointment. I think they were made to appease the European crowd but some of their older models are better than the new stuff. The xq50 is hard to beat. I think I heard the Core has a lot of the same internals but a few less features. Does that sound right?

I've heard that the Thermion line is a disappointment. I think they were made to appease the European crowd but some of their older models are better than the new stuff. The xq50 is hard to beat. I think I heard the Core has a lot of the same internals but a few less features. Does that sound right?
Correct. I thought it was a lower res scope, but was wrong. It is a 384 but... There are two issues for me with this scope. The fixed focus is a deal breaker. I've never been hog hunting (full disclosure), so I'm basing this off coyote hunting. I need that feature for longer shots. The second is the base 1.6 power. With digital zoom, you cut the res in half when you double the magnification. So if your on anything but 1.6 you won't be getting the 384 res. Might not be a problem with closer shots. All my nay saying aside, out of the three scopes listed, I would chose this one. If you haven't watched the late night vision show on YouTube, you should give it a try. They handle all the scopes and do a best buy for the money episode every now and again.

Correct. I thought it was a lower res scope, but was wrong. It is a 384 but... There are two issues for me with this scope. The fixed focus is a deal breaker. I've never been hog hunting (full disclosure), so I'm basing this off coyote hunting. I need that feature for longer shots. The second is the base 1.6 power. With digital zoom, you cut the res in half when you double the magnification. So if your on anything but 1.6 you won't be getting the 384 res. Might not be a problem with closer shots. All my nay saying aside, out of the three scopes listed, I would chose this one. If you haven't watched the late night vision show on YouTube, you should give it a try. They handle all the scopes and do a best buy for the money episode every now and again.
My opinion is based off of hog hunting. When we go, we use thermals to find hogs, night vision for positive identification and stalking then once we're within 100 yards we use rifle mounted thermals. Power and focus do not come into play so it works well for us.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.