Best long range target firearm

Nah a regular 338 is not impressive at all. The remington ultra mag is a magnificent piece. The 405 Jeffrey necked down in a non belted magnum. I'm going with a 378 or 416 caliber through a 30" barrel without a brake. "Brakes are for mama's boy" lol.180 or 220 grain. Just short of the hint of tumble. All the usual tricks,trims and touches around the chamber and breach.

I'm gonna go with the 284 Winchester. Assuming this is for 1000 yards and under, the 284 has a ton of reputation winning out to 1000 yards in competitions. Hard to argue with what's been a winning cartridge for many years. There are a lot of environmental conditions in which maybe a heavier 30 or 338 would excel over the 284 but as an all around cartridge, it's hard to beat.

Nah a regular 338 is not impressive at all. The remington ultra mag is a magnificent piece. The 405 Jeffrey necked down in a non belted magnum. I'm going with a 378 or 416 caliber through a 30" barrel without a brake. "Brakes are for mama's boy" lol.180 or 220 grain. Just short of the hint of tumble. All the usual tricks,trims and touches around the chamber and breach.
What does this even mean!

I'm gonna go with the 284 Winchester. Assuming this is for 1000 yards and under, the 284 has a ton of reputation winning out to 1000 yards in competitions. Hard to argue with what's been a winning cartridge for many years. There are a lot of environmental conditions in which maybe a heavier 30 or 338 would excel over the 284 but as an all around cartridge, it's hard to beat.

Attachments

• BALLISTIC-CHART-4-5-21-MSv2.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 86
I own a few boomers. While they certainly are excellent shooters for horrible conditions vs the smaller calibers, they also have way to much recoil and muzzle blast for the average shooter. First and foremost, accuracy is #1. Especially at LR. While some people can be accurate at 1000 yards with a large magnum rifle and heavy bullets, most cannot compared to a standard large rifle cartridge or smaller magnum cartridge. The 6.5-284, 284, 280, 300 wsm, 300 PRC would be that group that would fit comfortably in most hunters arsenal for LR shooting or hunting. Obviously others as well but it's only a sample of the easier cartridges to shoot. My choice is mostly based on accuracy and history of it's success. My 338 Lapua improved is an excellent example of the perfect LR cartridge but may not be for everyone. 300 grain bullets at over 3K fps puts the 284 to shame in windy conditions but 90% of the time isn't needed. More of a specialty cartridge for me.

Well I was in a Texas Varmint Hunter shoot once in New Braunsfels Tx. in mid July. 15 targets 35 yards to 550 meters. There was 12 or 13 shooters up on the line at a time, 5 shots in 3 minutes I think it was. I was factory varmint Ruger M2 varmint 22-250 but every caliber known to man was on the line. The guy next to me was 30 cal big case import something with a brake and knocked my hat off at 15 feet, I was doubled plugged pretty quick. I was fortunate to have a man named Doc Uzarski for my spotter he used to shoot for the army and was way better at reading the conditions than I deserved. In Texas reading mirage is key to hitting a garbage can at 550 much less a prairie dog in the head printed on legal size paper at those distances. Here when mirage is running fast left to right you can find yourself bagged 3' off,, 200 yards can become difficult. Anyways I felt like a hobo but wound up 3rd with 1,2,&3rd being separated by 1 point As for caliber for a long range ,build whats appropriate for your skill level and conditions. There's a place near here where you can go shoot mountain top to mountain top for $50 usd with gongs up to a mile. Most of those guys are 6.5 and up from there. It always boils down to skill. I would be good experience to go to a timed contest and see first hand whats being used, take a rifle and your gear and try it.

Well I was in a Texas Varmint Hunter shoot once in New Braunsfels Tx. in mid July. 15 targets 35 yards to 550 meters. There was 12 or 13 shooters up on the line at a time, 5 shots in 3 minutes I think it was. I was factory varmint Ruger M2 varmint 22-250 but every caliber known to man was on the line. The guy next to me was 30 cal big case import something with a brake and knocked my hat off at 15 feet, I was doubled plugged pretty quick. I was fortunate to have a man named Doc Uzarski for my spotter he used to shoot for the army and was way better at reading the conditions than I deserved. In Texas reading mirage is key to hitting a garbage can at 550 much less a prairie dog in the head printed on legal size paper at those distances. Here when mirage is running fast left to right you can find yourself bagged 3' off,, 200 yards can become difficult. Anyways I felt like a hobo but wound up 3rd with 1,2,&3rd being separated by 1 point As for caliber for a long range ,build whats appropriate for your skill level and conditions. There's a place near here where you can go shoot mountain top to mountain top for $50 usd with gongs up to a mile. Most of those guys are 6.5 and up from there. It always boils down to skill. I would be good experience to go to a timed contest and see first hand whats being used, take a rifle and your gear and try it.
We wish that there were more ranges that would be considered long range in Canada. Most ranges in our area have been made shorter to accommodate more shooters per session. We are envious of all you people who have ranges of 500 yards never mind mountain top to mountain top.

Are you saying you shoot 180 and 220gr bullets in your .338RUM? And they are on the verge of stability? And you shoot them at long range?

What does this even mean!
Oh good, it's not just me left wondering.
I think we're all starting to understand what all of this means, 😂
Kinda what I was thinking too
That is why I responded as such in #16, but let me reiterate ...
deer-eats-popcorn_keep going.gif