Best long range hunting scope max budget $3K

PowellSixO

So I'm thinking of selling off all of my scopes, and getting a single scope to share between my rifles for a while. I want to get the most durable, and precise scope possible with a max budget of $3k. I also would like 1st focal plane, and the scope to be in mils. What would you guys recommend? I've got my eyes on a couple right now.

1st would be a Nightforce ATACR 5-25x56.
2nd would be the S&B 5-25x56 PM II.
3rd would be the Swarovski X5 5-25x56.

What say you guys?

If it is just for target or ringing steel there are probably several that would work well, the top one on your list should be very nice. But if you are going to be using it for a hunting scope and packing it, the March scopes look to be very nice. I don't personally have one but the only reason is don't feel like l can afford one. Good luck with your choice.

I don't think the ATACR would leave you wanting much! I'd add a Kahles 624i to the list. The new Nightforce NX8 scopes just announced look very promising as well. Choose the one with the reticle you like the best, because when you get into that class of scope they should all have excellent glass and no tracking issues.

So I'm thinking of selling off all of my scopes, and getting a single scope to share between my rifles for a while. I want to get the most durable, and precise scope possible with a max budget of $3k. I also would like 1st focal plane, and the scope to be in mils. What would you guys recommend? I've got my eyes on a couple right now.

1st would be a Nightforce ATACR 5-25x56.
2nd would be the S&B 5-25x56 PM II.
3rd would be the Swarovski X5 5-25x56.

What say you guys?

I would research some of the feature difference of some of these scopes and scope names, and add that to your decision.

Normally I would say to knock the swaro off the list, as in GENERAL, swaro scopes are not known to be as durable as others mentioned, but the x5 specifically is built like a tank, so if ever a swaro would be on a elite list the x5 in 5-25 is definitely a good call.

Features to look at are like the s&bs turret system, a lot of people don't know that there are clicks but also has clunks, and well as the turret lock system as well as the cap design that doesn't actually come off for zero reset. Keeping the inside protected.

However the s&B doesn't have as many mils of elevation as the atacr enhanced which is 34 mils vs the S&Bs 26 mils.

There's some differences in water proofing and temp proofing between them all. All the differences are unique to the shooter and because rarely you can't have them all, so there are some minor trade offs. Like how much elevation travel. You can get the S&B which has less elevation travel but if you like the other features, a 30 moa base or the use of other technology can negate particular downsides depending on your personal interest.

Minox makes a nice scope in the ZP5. What are you after in terms of reticle and weight? Tough to beat Swaro when it comes to weight.

I have been impressed with the Burris XTR ii series, enough so that I just ordered a Burris XTR 3 in 3.3-18 x 50 with SCR 2 reticle. Substantially cheaper without giving up too much in glass quality. The new XTR 3 is touted as finally having the glass too...we'll see. And I tend to like 18-20x as a max power on a hunting rig.

For what it's worth, I have a Kahles K624i and it is awesome. Extremely good glass, great eye box, turrets are crisp and precise, etc.

ATACR is an amazing optic, and won't leave you wishing you had anything else.

PMII is also a gold standard. However, I think the outdated reticle designs are a really limiting factor. Plus, the illumination tumor in the back would bother me some. These are both personal/subjective criteria.

Swarovski isn't for people who need to twisting turrets.

Minox doesn't have locking turrets, and if you need warranty work done you are out of business for a long time. Not real good if you only have one scope.

You're not going to get a TT within your budget. But they are worth the money.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I believe I've made the decision to go with the ATACR.
Did you look at the Leupold Mark5 at all? I've been running a 5-25 for over a year now and the 7-35 for about a month. Been super happy all around. Glass is excellent, tracking has been spot on, and the price is very competitive compared to like NF models.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.