Best Hunting Scope for 500+ Yards

Xtremetj

I'd like you guys to help me pick out a scope for my new rifle once I decide what I'm going to buy. It will either be a 270, 6.5.284 or 308. I have a budget of ~$1000.

Here are a couple that I'm leaning towards. Huskemaw and Leupold VX 6 with the custom dial. These choices are based on the style of reticle available. I struggle with some of the reticles offered. I have a hard time seeing them.

I'm sure there are some I'm not thinking about in that price range and would appreciate you input.

Greg.

I hunt mostly deer and elk, and shoot the occasional rockchuck or varmint. I actually think the Vortex 4-16x50 HSLR with the dead hold bdc reticle is pretty close to a perfect hunting scope. It's relatively light, has decent glass, capped windage, and a user friendly reticle. It's definitely not a high end type scope, but I think they work great. Some folks don't like the 1/2 MOA adjustments, but unless your target is 1000 plus yards away, you are well within the vitals of deer and elk at some pretty long ranges. A couple of refinements to that scope and I think it would be really tough to beat. Most of them retail between 550 and 600.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.