Best factory rifle?

For what you are saying you want, id get a Seekins Havak in 300 Wm or 300 PRC and start shooting. My main rifle is a tikka with a proof in a Mesa stock i love it, but its much easier to just order the Seekins

I certainly don't have the shotting credentials of many on this platform but, I can speak from personal experience hunting on 3 continents for animals from coyote to a 2,000 lb. Eland. The gun I've hauled around for all those hunts was a Steyr in 300 Win Mag. It has served me well.

Attachments

• Botswana - 2015.JPG
    Botswana - 2015.JPG
    551.8 KB · Views: 43
I plan on "building" a rifle, and by building I mean upgrading What I deem necessary whether that be barrel (I hope not), stock, lugs, mercury tube, brake etc. caliber aside, in y'all's opinion what is the best factory rifle under or at a 2k$ price point?
I own and shoot a Savage Elite Precision 338LM. At 35 break-in rounds down the barrel, it's showing 1/4" MOA at the hundred from the bench. With scope, QD mount, bipod and three rounds in the magazine it weighs in at 19-1/2 lbs. It's a bench rifle. I have a CA MPR 338LM, carbon fiber wrapped barrel, that's about six pounds lighter. It shoots sub-MOA. I handload for both. A friend of mine has a CA MPR in 300PRC, he hunts with it using Hornady factory ammo and brags that his rifle prooves a three shot cloverleaf, all touching, at the hundred. Savage markets lightweight, LR hunting rifles with Proof Research carbon fiber wrapped barrels. They are very well reviewed. An off the rack rifle is usually a crap shoot. Some are great and some aren't.

I've built many rifles off Savage actions and had good luck with accuracy but recently I picked up a Tikka in 270 WSM and I was amazed how accurate it is with different bullets and loads. I would definitely buy another Tikka.

1st consideration IMHO, WELL.. if your planning on hand loads, is the magazine. If the magazine can't take the longest bullet that's just off the lands then your potentially reducing its maximum accuracy. For this reason I'm going to say find a savage. For the money you won't find a better rifle. In particular the savage axis II overwatch it's the best all around rifle for any hunting situation inside 800 yards.
If your not a hand loader then a 700 action like a Remington or Bergara. On the higher side for me is a Sako. Some say it's an overpriced Tikka. Id say having a super ultra light, accurate, buttery smooth, and more importantly a tuff rifle; it's worth the money. But some are well over $3k. Tikkas do shoot well but I'd buy a Savage over them any day. That's an extra $700 on a great scope. Just my 2c
BTW somewhere on the forum is a list of max magazine openings. I'm sure someone could assist with that. Good luck. Be sure to come back and post your choice and do tell y you chose it. Otherwise we can't learn and critique. 😂

I plan on "building" a rifle, and by building I mean upgrading What I deem necessary whether that be barrel (I hope not), stock, lugs, mercury tube, brake etc. caliber aside, in y'all's opinion what is the best factory rifle under or at a 2k$ price point?
I have several Remington 700's that I have had accurized, a Fierce Carbon Rival and a Tikka. Without a doubt my Tikka with the M-Carbo trigger spring is my favorite to shoot. It's super accurate from the factory and for $20 the trigger is at a crisp 1lb.

There are many great factory rifles available below the 2K threshold you mentioned. Most quality factory rifles are capable of accuracy that exceeds their owners abilities, so your requirements are yours alone. I have many custom built rifles as well as many factory rifles and I like each of them equally. All of the work we do to customize these rifle is usually done to satisfy our desires rather than to boost the rifle's performance. I always try and talk folks out of going down the rabbit hole, we have all been there to some degree, to chase a half minute of angle rifle at a thousand yards that you may never use to it's full potential. I say pick a factory rifle and see how you like it, I love the new Sako's they soot incredibly well and do all I need for around 1700.