Best Factory 6.5-284?

95huskers

I currently have a Savage LRH 6.5-284 and have been pretty satisfied with it. I want to add a second 6.5-284 so our reloading components remain the same but was wondering if there are any other good options for factory rifles in this caliber that I should look at?

No too many factory rifles available in 6.5x284. Cooper produces an excellent rifle in this caliber but it will cost more than twice that of the Savage, and could be considered to be more of a semi-custom.

Might consider a Savage 116 Weather Warrior in 6.5x284. I would be 1.5 lbs. lighter, have a 2" shorter barrel and be a little quicker handling. Would make a great carry rifle. I have one in 25-06. It shoots very well. I am considering rebarreling it to 6.5x284 someday.

Love my M48 Nosler Patriot... but it's only got a 24in pipe.
I run 48gr Rl17, WLR and a 140 Barnes Match Burner (don't recall OAL-- at work)
@ ~ 2880.

just a thought:

I've found Savage and Ruger to cut the most consistent chambers and throats rifle to rifle. I have said in the past that Ruger must only have one 6mm Remington reamer in house, as they are that consistent. Savages seem to be very close to each other chamber to chamber. (throat wise). I've had three Savage 22-250's, and all the throats were within .001". The Ruger rifles were right in that same area as well. Thinking about rifles I've had in multiples, and how the chamber was cut; I've had some Remingtons in .223, and several 30-06's in various forms. The Remington .223's were all over the place, but oddly the older 788 series were much more consistent. I own five 30-06's in various forms, and have owned two or three others. Weatherby Vanguards seem to be similar, and their MK.V is pretty close to the Vanguard (maybe the throat is .003"/.005" longer but still the MK.V's are similar) Have owned a couple Winchester Mod.70's in .223 and 22-250. Their chambers didn't resemble the other guys!

The gist of the above paragraph is that if the chambers and throats are similar, then your reloading setup will go thru far fewer changes. Otherwise you'll find yourself having two different reloading setups, and pulling out a lot of hair. I guess a guy could buy a second set of dies, and keep them setup for the second rifle. I do that with my 30-06's, and really need one more die set. I'm beginning to think this is nuts!
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.