Best Degreaser to use before painting

Crowe284

I'm wanting to paint the black HS precision stock that came on my savage model 12 LRP. Going to go cheap and easy and use rattle can...probably Krylon Fusion Camo colors...will be easy to touch up if I want to.

What is the best degreaser to use for prep?

Should I apply a coat of Krylon Primer before painting or just go straight to painting stock after degreasing.

Might also paint the barreled action...Same questions.

Thanks,

Crowe

Krylon fusion for plastic says no prep or undercoat required but they all say that .
I would scuff the surface with a hard plastic scourer or some glass paper just to get some grip for the paint and then wash it down by scrubbing it with a stiff bristle brush and with car wash detergent in warm water . Rinse and wipe it off well with warm water and dry it well use cloths that don't drop lint on the surface .
You have to be careful of using any kind of solvent or products with solvents just in case it attacks the stock surface badly . If you do use any proprietory solvent product try it on a small spot first and see if it's ok .

A good experiment with solvents is to wipe them onto a piece of glass and allow to dry .
You will find some leave a fine deposit of some kind , either greasy or powdery . Some evaporate and leave nothing detectable .

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.