Best Custom Barrels...

wilkup

I know there's several different options.
I've had a few Bartleins over the years, but have been told they're typically a little "slower" than others.
I know Brux is another incredible option, but have never owned one.
I've heard Lilja and Rock Creek make some pretty sweet barrels too.

So, who makes the most accurate/fastest barrel out there right now?

I like Kreiger barrels myself. Lots of people have really good luck with them. If you want something specific you might have to wait 5 months for a custom barrel. Some companies stock them and you might find one that fits your needs there. Try Southern Precision Rifles

I don't know about different speeds of different barrel makers. But if you go with any quality barrel maker, the accuracy part USUALLY won't be the problem of the barrel but how it's all put together by a good smith.

Hart, Krieger, Brux, Bartlein, Lilja. Those are just to name a few but are all good companies.

I have gone with Hart on my last two customs rifles and couldn't be happier.

I only have 1 custom barrel on a rifle at this point (I have another that has yet to be installed). I am not sure how Criterion ranks historically, but the barrel I got from them is absolutely terrific and their customer service was very easy to work with.

I don't know if they are "the best". But from my limited experience I would definitely put them in the "quality barrel maker" category.

Hope this helps!

I know there's several different options.
I've had a few Bartleins over the years, but have been told they're typically a little "slower" than others.
I know Brux is another incredible option, but have never owned one.
I've heard Lilja and Rock Creek make some pretty sweet barrels too.

So, who makes the most accurate/fastest barrel out there right now?

The bold sentence is nothing more than horse poop. You simply can't take all of the custom barrels made in the U.S. and expect to be able to categorize them all individually by barrel. Every barrel can have one or more of several characteristics mostly for the best if you limit the discussion to the top makers. Some barrels start a little slow then pick up velocity as you break them in. I've seen a few gain upwards of 200 FPS during the final phase of break in. Others shoot at speed right from the get go.

If you want fast, get more horsepower, it's not the barrel.

I don't think you can go wrong by choosing any of the top barrel makers. Sure, there's the potential of getting a less than stellar barrel on the rarest of occasions but that is extremely rare these days. While I prefer cut rifled barrels almost exclusively, the top button barrel makers should not be ignored, especially Gary Schneider.

Accuracy, from the top makers, is all about how the rifle is put together and how good the shooter really is. Some folks can shoot the eyes out of a gnat at 200 yards while others can't hit the proverbial broad side of a barn. The top barrels are all fully capable of the degree of accuracy expected from top shooters and builders.

Regards.

I have a few of different brands and like them all my first was a hart. My last completed was a shaw barrel and it has also been great not amazing but great. My current builds are getting bartlien and one with a proof. Only time will tell. They all preform better than me I bet.

I have one Douglas in a 240 WBY and two Bartleins 22-250AI and 7RM.

These are all sporter rifles with the 240 having the lightest barrel. They all shoot great with the Barts shooting a little better and starting off great from shot one where the button rifled Douglas took a little to break in.

Some barrels even from the same manufacture are just faster than others. You can't go wrong with any of the barrel makers mentioned in this thread.

I'm going to talk to Kirby Allen about it but I'm pondering going with a Bartlien gain twist from 1:10 to like 1:9 for the 245gr Berger EOL. In hopes of maybe being able to drive it slightly faster than a full 1:9

I'm going to talk to Kirby Allen about it but I'm pondering going with a Bartlien gain twist from 1:10 to like 1:9 for the 245gr Berger EOL. In hopes of maybe being able to drive it slightly faster than a full 1:9
I have not heard of this bullet and am intrigued. Where can I learn more about it and when it will become available?

It will be a 30cal addition to the EOL line of Berger bullets. Rumor has it at 245 grains but it's just a rumor an undenied rumor at that. I hope within the next year it will be released but it's uncertain as to what Berger is doing it's also said that they're working on a .375 offering as well. Either way it's all very exciting.

Some barrels even from the same manufacture are just faster than others. You can't go wrong with any of the barrel makers mentioned in this thread.

+1! I have two barrels; 30" SS 1:8" 3-GR on my .270 AI and 27" SS 1:9" 3-GR on my .30 Lara. Very please with them.

It will be a 30cal addition to the EOL line of Berger bullets. Rumor has it at 245 grains but it's just a rumor an undenied rumor at that. I hope within the next year it will be released.

The 245 would be great addition! Looking forward to it. Cheers!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.