Best choices for Lazer rangefinders for around $300 & under

DJ Fergus

Best choices for Lazer rangefinders around $300 & under? I've got a Bushnell gx force. It's ok for the price. I've got a Leupold rx1300 that I like alot better but my son likes it better too, so I get stuck with the Bushnell. Thinking about just buying another Leupold rx unless there's something better at that same price point that I haven't looked through.

Last edited:
Find a used Leica 1000, 1200, 1600, or 1600b. Preferably that last one. They can be had used for about $300-350 if you are quick. Over the years, I've owned Bushnell, Nikon(s), and Leupold(s). None of the previous mentioned units would range to their rating on a rock, or tree, let alone an animal. Each Leica that I've had will range an animal further than it's rating, and reflective objects much further.

I've heard good things about the sig. I've heard good things about the New Nikon as well. I had an older prostaff 7 range finder. It was pretty close to my Bushnell.

Sig. for the price they are very nice.
I'm probably going to take a closer look at the Sig. I was an instrument mechanic at a nuclear plant for about 5 years and restarted a unit that had been down for about 20 years or more. Outage became a word I didn't like to hear to often. Forced outage was even worse, LOL. But some guys liked it cause it meant huge paychecks.

Yessir! I came up through operations in a power plant before moving into our construction side. I operated a little reckless which sometimes might have lead to a forced outage. Ha! The name has stuck with me.

I was at Browns Ferry. I work in site utilities @ 3M chemical now. Worked with a couple fellows named Abe Rackley & Jim Anderson from Watts Bar & Sequoia when I was at BFN. Been around 15 years ago or so.

Have had pretty good luck with the sig. For the money they are hard to beat. Of course that's my opinion and experience. Another one that if you are willing to look at used you might pick on up for around the $300-350 range is zeiss victory range finder. Don't give you the incline info and are larger than the sig but do seem to work pretty good. Good luck

I've had two sigs. I thought I lost my first one so I bought a new one then found the old one which I then sold. Both work flawlessly for me. Ranged some elk at 927 yards yesterday with no issue.

Take a look at the Athlon Midas 1200 for only $189.99
  • Fully Multi-Coated Lenses: Fully Multicoated optics effectively reduces reflected light and increases the transmission of light giving you a brighter image than normal single coated lenses
  • Waterproof: Waterproof to protect the product in the harshest weather conditions or if accidentally submerged underwater
  • Diopter adjustment: Adjusts for precise focus on display
  • Rubber Armor: Protects and provides non-slip grip
  • Tripod Adaptable: Compatible with a regular camera tripod adapter
  • Angle Compensation Mode: Provides true horizontal distance to target
  • Line of Sight Mode: Provides actual line of sight range
  • Scan Mode: Allows you to get quick readings on different objects or tracking a moving target
  • Dual Units of Measurement of Distance (Y/M): Ranges in yards or meters
  • Effective Ranging Distance: 5-1200 yards

I think I read that Nikon was making LRFs with image stabilization but I also read they are getting out of sport optics. I'm not sure if they are dropping LRFs but I imagine they are. Support may be an issue.

I have a set of Sig Kilo3000BDX LRF binoculars and like them a lot but they are outside your price range. I probably wouldn't buy a BDX LRF that can't do ABX mode except as a backup but if you aren't using the BDX system, those less expensive LRFs might be fine, I don't know how they compare.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.