Best C.O.A.L for 168 berger vld

fladeerhntr

I have a friend that is wanting me to load him some 168 berger vld's for his ruger m77 chambered in 308. I'm just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a good C.O.A.L because I've never loaded any of the bergers before just because I've had outstanding results from Accubonds in everything I own from 243 to 7 mag and I've heard so much about them being kinda difficult to load. I do know from what he's told me that the farthest shot he will probably be taking would be 200 yards just because in the part of the country where we hunt the average shot is less than a hundred yards so in my mind seating depth wouldn't matter all that much as far as affecting the accuracy as long as he can chamber the loaded round smooth. I may be totally wrong with my way of thinking so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

That bullet for 200 yard shooting is a little like using a Ferrari to run 2 blocks down to the grocery store....

No one can give you a COL but you, because we have no idea how long the throat on that rifle is. 0.03125" or 1/32" jump to the lands works for just about any bullet out there.

That bullet for 200 yard shooting is a little like using a Ferrari to run 2 blocks down to the grocery store....

No one can give you a COL but you, because we have no idea how long the throat on that rifle is. 0.03125" or 1/32" jump to the lands works for just about any bullet out there.

agree 100 %

if you go through all the procedures to do it safely like you would with your own rifle , like checking his rifles max length to lands, loading once fired brass from his gun that is barely shoulder bumped, while using consistent loading methods , he will then see that he is a good shot and the factory ammo he was shooting is the problem ( fancy 100$ box or not )

this may be worth reading to you

http://www.bergerbullets.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/COAL.pdf

If most shots are under 100 yards it may be even worse though the lower velocities of the .308 will help. Sounds like a perfect setting for Partitions if you ask me.

Thanks I appreciate all the advice. I do realize that this is less than perfect conditions for this particular bullet and I told him that but that's what he wants because I did try to talk him into an Accubond or either a partition with no luck.

I have a friend that is wanting me to load him some 168 berger vld's for his ruger m77 chambered in 308. I'm just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a good C.O.A.L because I've never loaded any of the bergers before just because I've had outstanding results from Accubonds in everything I own from 243 to 7 mag and I've heard so much about them being kinda difficult to load. I do know from what he's told me that the farthest shot he will probably be taking would be 200 yards just because in the part of the country where we hunt the average shot is less than a hundred yards so in my mind seating depth wouldn't matter all that much as far as affecting the accuracy as long as he can chamber the loaded round smooth. I may be totally wrong with my way of thinking so any advice would be greatly appreciated.
This load worked awesome in my R700 5R Milspec, so I can't make any guarantees, but it shot 1 ragged hole in my rifle... I hope it will shoot as good for him.

Berger 168 VLD
44.0gr of Varget
Federal 210M primer
Hornady Match brass (once-fired, and neck-sized for reload)
2.200" base to ogive with a Hornady comparator tool

Like I said, all rifles are different, but I would be highly interested in seeing how this load shoots in his gun, as well.

fladeerhntr,
Try the 168 grain CLASSIC HUNTER Berger bullets instead of the VLD if you cant do any seating depth testing. The CLASSIC HUNTERS are a hybrid bullet with both the secant ogive of a VLD and the tangent ogive of a standard bullet incorporated into the design of the nose of the bullet. This, along with the nose being a standard SAMMI length that allows it to be seated to magazine length make the bullet very tolerant of jump and easy to load tune for. And it has the same performance as the VLD on game.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.