Best Bullet Choice for Long Range Antelope 243 Win twist 1:10

95gr Berger Classic Hunters shoot exceptionally well out of our factory weatherby vanguard .243 1:10twist

Edit: missed where you said you already ordered other bullets. good luck! any of the 4350 powders shoot well for us with 90+gr bullets

95gr Berger Classic Hunters shoot exceptionally well out of our factory weatherby vanguard .243 1:10twist

Edit: missed where you said you already ordered other bullets. good luck! any of the 4350 powders shoot well for us with 90+gr bullets
I may order the Bergers as well, they look like nice slippery bullets!

I may order the Bergers as well, they look like nice slippery bullets!
I am just starting a load for 243 Rem 783 9.125 twist. using 95 berger hybrid. trying to do all I can to stay away from varget and so far with powder on hand IMR4895 is coming together. normally would use 87 vld hunting bergers but just wanted to try something little heavier. The 87 bergers huve served my brother and I very well in the woods and at the range. If the new bullets work as well I will be very happy. I am down to about 3/4 inch with only about 30 rounds total fired.

I've had good luck on whitetail with 95gr sst in my rifle, 80gr speer hot-core in encore pistol out to 300yd. I would look at 87gr berger vld, nosler 90-95gr bullet as well. I've seen several video of pronghorn absolutely crushed with a 22-250 you've got to remember a big pronghorn will be 130lb they're not heavily skinned or boned either. If you've got a good deer load then use it, at longer distance you don't want a very tough bullet.

First thing to decide; lead-free or not. After that go from there. I would posit that 95+% of the choices will kill an antelope quite dead.

My youngest son shoots the 95 grain Nosler BTs from his 10 twist tikka. That rifle will shoot 1/2 MOA out to 600 yards with that bullet. He is using H4350 and perhaps giving up some velocity but is exceptionally accurate. He hammered a nice white-tail 2 years ago at 500 that never moved. Should be plenty good for antelope.

Hammers....might not be available in Canada?
They should be able to ship Hammers to us soon. With the changes in ITAR it will allow us more options. Last I heard the changes come into effect March 9th. Don't know if that is still right.

If you use the 1800/1100 rule, a 243 is not a 500-600 yard cartridge. It is about a 350 yard cartridge.

I have used a Nosler 85 gr Partition in a 6mm Wildcat at the 250-350 yard range. That is probably the bullet I would use if I had a 243.
Depending on bullet and load I think you're selling the 243 short. For comparison my 6 dasher hunting gun shooting a. 103 eldx at 2905 FPS with a 22" barrel. At 500 yds velocity is 2074 FPS with 983.7 ft-lbs. I'd shoot to 500 on antelope with that. A 243 has a fair bit more powder capacity than a dasher. I'm only running 32 gr of Varget.

What is your preferred load for 3100 fps?
Sorry it took a few days to get back to you.. too much work. I've been experimenting with 7977, both here, and in my 25-06 and 280 AI.... Load will differ, of course, but I'm running about all the cases hold, at +- 49-50 gr with no pressure, and have also had excellent results in the past with H4931....

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.