Best Buck Yet

A few years ago I was mentoring with my buddy at a WITO (Women In The Outdoors) event that our NWTF Chapter puts on every year. Tom retired as a highschool guidance counselor and one of the ladies who was probably in her late 30s came up to him and said he was her counselor in school. Then she pulled out several pictures of a nice whitetail buck she had shot to show us and bragg a little. It was a beauty and probably around 170" net B&C. She said she almost didn't get him and when we asked why she said she and her guide were in their tower blind and when she went to take the shot she tunked her barrel against the blind and the buck ran off. She was ticked, but the guide told her not to worry as the buck would be back to the feed trough for his nightly meal! Sure enough, he came back a few minutes later and she wacked him. Guess where the place was---yep, the Sanctuary in mid MI where the OP buck was taken in a real hard hunt as he mentioned, LOL! Tom and I just winked at each other and told her she had taken a real beauty. Turns out she married a bigshot CEO at one of the big companies in Battle Creek and has money to burn or shoot whatever she wants!

Yep, just step up to the counter tell em you want #103 make out that check for twenty grand or so and they will trot him out for ya. Just like setting up trail cameras on thousands of acres of National Forest. No difference ya right:rolleyes: I guess if you are born with a silver spoon in your mouth this is what you call hunting. But I don't think I would be posting pictures and bragging about it, thats why there SCI scores and not B&C or P&Y. SCI could care less how it's killed. JMO others may like another flavor of kool-aide.

Dude you got it all wrong they don't trot the deer out for you it's already dead you just claim the one you like best and call him yours, best part about it is you don't even have to leave your computer screen it's all done via skype.

Also my i wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth, but it did come shortly after.

Lastly B&C or P&Y are BS why should a deer or any animal that is recognized by B&C or P&Y be deducted points the deer have no control over that, i dont harvest anything for the score just what i like..if it scores good great if not whatever...

drives me crazy when people say its the same thing. Bottom line is its not the same thing its just high fence hunters way of making them selves feel better about it.I have dedicated my hunting to the whitetail and am hear to tell you its not the same thing not even close.

Dude you got it all wrong they don't trot the deer out for you it's already dead you just claim the one you like best and call him yours, best part about it is you don't even have to leave your computer screen it's all done via skype.

Also my i wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth, but it did come shortly after.

Lastly B&C or P&Y are BS why should a deer or any animal that is recognized by B&C or P&Y be deducted points the deer have no control over that, i dont harvest anything for the score just what i like..if it scores good great if not whatever...
If you don't care about the score then why did you mention it in the first place, why not just say this is my best buck, even though I killed it in a pen it is still pretty **** awesome..........:D I guess the score does matter!:rolleyes:

If you don't care about the score then why did you mention it in the first place, why not just say this is my best buck, even though I killed it in a pen it is still pretty **** awesome..........:D I guess the score does matter!:rolleyes:

What i meant about not caring about a score is i don't look at live deer and shoot them based on the score, if i like the animal i am going to attempt to take it. Also, just thought it was something that would be asked anyway so why not go ahead and post it...

drives me crazy when people say its the same thing. Bottom line is its not the same thing its just high fence hunters way of making them selves feel better about it.I have dedicated my hunting to the whitetail and am hear to tell you its not the same thing not even close.

Not sure i follow can you clarify your response?

High fence hunting isnt the same as free range hunting thats what im saying. You dont hear about people bragging about the big fish they caught in a swimming pool do you?Then saying it was just kept there so no one else would catch it.

High fence hunting isnt the same as free range hunting thats what im saying. You dont hear about people bragging about the big fish they caught in a swimming pool do you?Then saying it was just kept there so no one else would catch it.

I agree with you that it isn't the same as low fence hunting, not sure that i ever said it was. What i believe i said was explain to me the difference between using feeders/ game cameras etc.. vs. a high fence. Dont most deer (besides rut) generally live in an area roughly a square mile, so patterning with game cameras and feeders can be relatively easy correct? If a high fence is let's say a form of cheating then why is most other equipment o.k.?

That being said you do see a lot of people bragging about fish they caught while on a guided fishing expedition, in that case you have a captain taking you to the hot spots that he knows of... BTW: i dont think fish can live in chlorine, so kind of a bad example...

***Any time you see someone with a decent buck and they say it scores so many inches SCI, it's an immediate red flag as to what the situation is/was. Obviously the kid is able to "hunt" wherever his folks money takes him and the Sonora record mule deer the folks took speaks for itself. If that's their bag and they can afford it, more power to them, but coming on a hunting website and flaunting game like that does not light most people's fire!!! It's especially so when the initial post hides the fact where the animal was taken and it most certainly was done on purpose because the OP knows there is definitely a difference between a fair chase situation and that "hunt" whether he admits it or not! Personally, I'm turned off by these pictures of monster nontypical bucks and feel they should be in a "grotesque racks" category since some of them can hardly hold their head up. The OP can make all the supposed comparisons like he has in the previous post, but again all he's trying to do IMHO is convince us, or maybe more so himself, that what he's doing is just as hard as "real" hunting. Catching fish in the ocean on a charterboat or so-called "patterning" a deer with a trailcam is certainly not akin to going behind a high fence, but it appears he's going to keep posting to try and justify or convince us/himself that it is! IMHO the thread should just die right here because when you read the website of "The Sanctuary" and see a 50% money back guarantee if you don't shoot a big buck of your choice you should know right away that it isn't much of a fair chase or they wouldn't be in existence if they were having to follow up on that "guarantee" very often!

***Any time you see someone with a decent buck and they say it scores so many inches SCI, it's an immediate red flag as to what the situation is/was. Obviously the kid is able to "hunt" wherever his folks money takes him and the Sonora record mule deer the folks took speaks for itself. If that's their bag and they can afford it, more power to them, but coming on a hunting website and flaunting game like that does not light most people's fire!!! It's especially so when the initial post hides the fact where the animal was taken and it most certainly was done on purpose because the OP knows there is definitely a difference between a fair chase situation and that "hunt"! Personallly, I'm turned off by these pictures of monster nontypical bucks that have grotesque racks that they can't even hold up.

First of all I'm 32 years old so my parents do not pay for anything that i do!

As i stated before i wasn't hiding anything, but am a relative newbie to this board and didn't realize the way people felt about high fence hunts, or i would have thought to state as such.

What's your issue with SCI scores? Personally i think B&C/P&Y are a crappy way to score deer or any animals for that matter. Since deer to not have control over the symmetry of the rack etc., why should a deer be penalized for it? Do you tell everyone net score of your animals or gross?

BTW: My non-typ had is head up and was looking directly at me before i gun) him.

"BTW: My non-typ had is head up and was looking directly at me before i gun) him."

Which feed trough and what tower were you in up there when you gun)him, LOL?! I know all about where you were (see my first post about the lady). At 32 years old I'd think maybe you'd be working somewhere right now! Look, I'll be 66 in a few weeks and have "kids" 15 years older than you sonny, so that's why I referred to you that way! You as much stated in an early post that you were riding the coattails of your parents to do what you do and I could care less whether they gave you the money or that you may be in a company position or some such thing to have the big money you need to do those hunts! The "thing" that most have against SCI isn't their scoring system, which I probably prefer over the others if I was really into scoring, but rather that they allow animals in their book that are taken in other than what most consider fair chase. The other two systems consider symmetry as a part of the score and SCI doesn't. I really could care less what a rack scores because IMHO it's in the eye of the beholder and I could give a rip if it's 170" or 178"!!!

Look, I'll be 66 in a few weeks and have "kids" 15 years older than you sonny, so that's why I referred to you that way! You as much stated in an early post that you were riding the coattails of your parents to do what you do and I could care less whether they gave you the money or that you may be in a company position or some such thing to have the big money you need to do those hunts! The "thing" that most have against SCI isn't their scoring system, which I probably prefer over the others if I was really into scoring, but rather that they allow animals in their book that are taken in other than what most consider fair chase. The other two systems consider symmetry as a part of the score and SCI doesn't. I really could care less what a rack scores because IMHO it's in the eye of the beholder and I could give a rip if it's 170" or 178"!!!

that's great that you have kids 15 years older than me. :)

SCI has an estate record book (high fence) and a non estate which is fair chase or low fence... So they do separate the two..

"Also I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth, but it did come shortly after".

***The more you post the more it looks like at 32 you still haven't grown up yet sonny, so maybe you should go home to foxy mommy, LOL!!!

"Also I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth, but it did come shortly after".

***The more you post the more it looks like at 32 you still haven't grown up yet sonny, so maybe you should go home to foxy mommy, LOL!!!

You really read all that and couldn't tell i was being sarcastic, take a Valium bro and chill

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.