Best ar barrel and place to have upper built?

GetReel

I have my lower ready to go and a stripped upper that matches my lower very well so I want to use that. I want to send that upper off to have a barrel, gas block/tube and everything else done. I'll still pick out the handguard.
But looking for recommendations for a good quality barrel and place to have upper built?
Mostly casual shooting/varmint hunting.
223 Wylde or 6.5 Grendel are my considerations.

lets start with
WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO BUILD ?
16,18.20.22.24.26.28"
what application
plinking, target long range pd's

next
a wylde chamber is a COMPROMISE for using 80 gr single loaded ammo.
if you aint doing that, skip the wylde chamber.
magazine length ammo ? get a chamber cut for the bullet you will use.

krieger makes great bbls, prefit for ar's one of the best
frank white makes cmp/dcm target bbls (compass lake engineering)
rock river arms has some nice bbls

some definition by you will help pointing you in the right direction

lets start with
WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO BUILD ?
16,18.20.22.24.26.28"
what application
plinking, target long range pd's

next
a wylde chamber is a COMPROMISE for using 80 gr single loaded ammo.
if you aint doing that, skip the wylde chamber.
magazine length ammo ? get a chamber cut for the bullet you will use.

krieger makes great bbls, prefit for ar's one of the best
frank white makes cmp/dcm target bbls (compass lake engineering)
rock river arms has some nice bbls

some definition by you will help pointing you in the right direction

I was thinking about 18", if 223, or maybe 22" if 6.5,Grendel. I want mag fed. General plinking, predator hunting. If it had accuracy capable out to 400-500+, I'd love to shoot it that far.
I reload for other guns but I've never reloaded for a gas gun. Not really sure I want to. But we'll see.

I will say this, you won't regret going 6.5 Grendel, as long as you get a good quality barrel. I would stay away from Bear Creek Arsenal, or anything budget like that. If you want a good accurate rifle, you'll need to spend the cash on a good barrel.

I will say this, you won't regret going 6.5 Grendel, as long as you get a good quality barrel. I would stay away from Bear Creek Arsenal, or anything budget like that. If you want a good accurate rifle, you'll need to spend the cash on a good barrel.

I get that. I've become more about quality and less about quantity.
I was actually thinking of a carbon barrel but that might just be a novelty thing

I've owned a number of the usual barrel brands for service rifle competition and some long range plinking, but Satern's cut rifled barrels built by my buddy, Ryan, at Aquilla Custom Gun Works in 6.5 Grendel were shooting some tiny, tiny groups in all of the ones he has been building the last couple years. I might have him put one on my CMP Service Rifle for the next replacement.

if you want 400-500 do 22-24 in the 223.
throated for 75's in a 1/8 match bbl. 1/7 is fine.
load up a dummy round and get it under mag length so as things wear it will still fit in the mag.
tell them WHAT YOU WANT, DO NOT SETTLE FOR WHAT THEY WANT TO SELL.
PS I HAVE A 26" AND A 27 " 223 AR.
it aint hard to load for, do not listen to most of the bs out there about what you can and cannot do.
i have neck sized only and i have used match primers. just pay attention

I was thinking about 18", if 223, or maybe 22" if 6.5,Grendel. I want mag fed. General plinking, predator hunting. If it had accuracy capable out to 400-500+, I'd love to shoot it that far.
I reload for other guns but I've never reloaded for a gas gun. Not really sure I want to. But we'll see.

I've owned a number of the usual barrel brands for service rifle competition and some long range plinking, but Satern's cut rifled barrels built by my buddy, Ryan, at Aquilla Custom Gun Works in 6.5 Grendel were shooting some tiny, tiny groups in all of the ones he has been building the last couple years. I might have him put one on my CMP Service Rifle for the next replacement.
My 6.5G has a Satern 5R 1:8" 24" h-bar contour on it w/ rifle length gas. It's a tad on the hefty side, so I've been thinking about going with a 20" heavy fluted instead to cut down on some weight. You won't lose much velocity.

I have more AR-15's than I need or use, that said any more I just stick to 223's and leave the other calibers to my bolt guns. My most accurate uppers all have WOA (White Oak Armament) barrels, don't know who makes their blanks but WOA makes them shoot. I'm not a fan of the short barrels or gas systems, all my AR's have rifle length gas systems and barrel's are 20"-24"

I have more AR-15's than I need or use, that said any more I just stick to 223's and leave the other calibers to my bolt guns. My most accurate uppers all have WOA (White Oak Armament) barrels, don't know who makes their blanks but WOA makes them shoot. I'm not a fan of the short barrels or gas systems, all my AR's have rifle length gas systems and barrel's are 20"-24"
Certainly Rifle +2 gas system is so much better with 6.5, 7mm and 308 gas guns in 22-24" barrels.

I have my lower ready to go and a stripped upper that matches my lower very well so I want to use that. I want to send that upper off to have a barrel, gas block/tube and everything else done. I'll still pick out the handguard.
But looking for recommendations for a good quality barrel and place to have upper built?
Mostly casual shooting/varmint hunting.
223 Wylde or 6.5 Grendel are my considerations.
I have 2 Odin Works barrels that I installed myself. One is a 22 Nosler and the other a Wylde. The 22 Nosler would not shoot over 3/4" with any load or powder I've tried. The best load is with a 68gr Hornady and shoots in the .2's. The Wylde shoots just as good, and even does about 3/4" with cheap federal FMJ factory loads. Don't hear much about them but they make a fine barrel that comes with a tuneable gas block that can be had for around $250 if you shop around. They also make a 6.5, and I would guess its a shooter too. You should build your upper yourself. They are really easy to do.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.