Best 30mm ring set up, brand and height and best ACD???

tacsniper0888

Hey guys. I just purchased a new nightforce nxs 5.5-22/56 with MOAR reticle for my remington 700 5R milspec in .308 with 20moa rail. I need a suggestion for hat rings you guys would recommend and what height to go with to clear the objective bell but keep it as low as possible. Also what anti-cant device would you guys recommend, vortex or accuracy 1st? Thanks guys.

For an ACD you don't want anything that gets in the way of seeing turret graduations . I like ACD's that come out to the side and at or below tube centre . The Accuracy 1st looks like it might be hard to see .
Very hard to advise scope ring height it also depends on barrel contour and how far you scope will be forward .
Focus the reticle and put parallax on 200 yards , get some wood spacers and tape the scope to the rail on the spacers so the eye relief is correct for your normal shooting position at mid power and the objective is clear of the barrel by an minimum of 1/8 . Measure the distance between the top of the rail and the bottom of the scope tube and add half the scope tube diameter .
See if that measurement corresponds to any tactical type manufacturers ring height . I bet it don't . As most only make three ring heights you usually end up with a scope height , higher than is ideal . Don't have the objective too close to the barrel as the scope can flex under recoil and hit the barrel .
Burris XTR rings come in 4 heights .
Badger ordinance have a few different height rings.

My build has a heavy palma barrel and I used medium (.885) badger ordnance rings with a 50mm objective! The bikini cover barley fits on the scope now, but I have clearance. If I would have went up to the 56mm objective, I would have had to get the 1" high rings. Nightforce' medium rings are 1" where badger' medium rings are .885. As per nightforce, a 56mm will fit on a sendero taper with a 20moa base.

I like the defensive edge ACI with level and bottom cap. It's on my list of things to purchase.

I went with NF rings for both my NXS and ATACR. They are supposed to be a perfect match and no lapping. I guess I never seen any reason to pick another brand. As far as anti-cant devices, I went with a Flat-line Ops articulating level. I don't have any experience with any other brands, but I honestly don't see how they could get any better than that. You can order it from the LRH store (I Did). I mounted mine between the scope bell and the front ring. When it is closed you can't use it, but that's why it's made to flip out. I mounted it this way so it was not in the way of the elevation turret.

I have the US Optics level and it is nice and small and swings in and out for when not in use. It is very touchy though. Cant the rifle 1 mm and the bubble goes to the side. It's very hard to get the rifle set and the for the bubble to stay in the middle. This is the only ACD that I have used. Are they all VERY finicky?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.