Bergers 300wsm

NWPA0311

New here and I tried posting this earlier. I picked up a semi custom 300wsm in trade. The rifle is based on a 700 action, 24 in barrel 1/10 twist. A .3435 reamer was used in the barrel with .100 free bore. It is currently set up with PTG bottom metal with an alpha mag. The aphla mag says it will take a cartridge up to 2.970 in length. My question is what size bergers will I be able to run? I'm about to order some bullets and I dont want to buy 50 that I can get to fly because I cant seat them at the length they need to be at. Thanks in advance,

Josh

It sounds like you have a wonderful rifle in your possession.

I would recommend the 215 Berger hybrid target bullet. I has a fantastic track record which I will link at bottom.

My friend asked me to make him a LR load for his Browning A-bolt in 300 WSM with the BOSS system. The barrel is 22" perhaps 21" long, hard to tell with that contraption on it. This is where this gets crazy and the facts will make a point. I had some 230 Berger hybrid targets on hand and gave them a try. To get the loaded round to fit and feed from the mag box I had to use an overall length of 2.8". I thought it would reduce performance considerably seeing so much of the bullet inside the case. It worked out well. It was accurate and it obtained respectable velocity. Using Fed 215 primers and working up to 61 gr of RL-17 for an amazing 2735 fps!

If this rifle can do that with such a long heavy bullet I am positive your rifle will work well with the 215 gr version of this bullet. In addition the hybrids have proven to be seating depth friendly. Many of the rifles I have loaded with hybrids never required any seating depth changes. Just work up a powder charge to find best accuracy.

Now for the 215's hunting abilities. A fellow LRH poster, Broz, did what I consider the best
documented hunting performance thread on any bullet I have even read. He used a 300 win mag for all the kills. I will skip the beginning which discusses the 215 hybrid vs the 210 VLD. The velocities and energy values are listed as well as entrance, interior and exit wounds. The velocity of the bullet at each distance will help any reader determine how slower cartridges will perform. IIRC there are 23 one shot kills here:

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/comparing-berger-210-vld-215-hybrid-88657/index12.html

I hope you find this information helpful.

here is pic of 230 in the 300 WSM

Agree with AZShooter!

My current accuracy load for my Savage 11 FCNS in .300 WSM (all factory except for MB install) using 215 Berger is 60 RL-17, WW brass, 9 1/2 M, COAL = 2.968" (mag is 3.003"), CBTO = 2.197" (.080" off the lands), 2750 FPS out of 24" barrel. This load harvested a MT muley buck as its first harvest at 425 yards last year.

Good luck and happy safe hunting/shooting.

Ed

NWPA0311,
AZ and Feenix are right about our .30 CAL 215 Hybrid Target bullet. Also keep in mind our .30 CAL 168 and 185 grain CLASSIC HUNTER BULLETS. New Berger Classic Hunter Bullets | Berger Bullets Blog These are a also a HYBRID bullet so they are very tolerant of jump and also have a SSAMI length nose dimension that allows them to be seated to standard magazine length(s). In most cases with these bullets all the load testing that needs done is to seat the bullet to magazine length and then work the load up to find your highest velocity accuracy node. With short /medium action length rifles these work very well. If you have any questions please feel free to contact us here or at [email protected]

I've had great luck with the 185 Classic Hunter for 300 WSM and Savage LRH.

Caution: this load worked for me with no pressure signs. Start low and work up.

467e76d396a06d63e55544f6db1551bf_zpsf1600a50.jpg

Gentleman,

Thank you for the quick responses and the wealth of information. I have a ton of Winchester brass to play with. I'm going to give the 215's a try. It appears that the slower speed may only help the bullet work upon impact. Hopefully I can find a sweet spot where they still fit in my magazine.

Josh

I would recommend the 215 Berger hybrid target bullet. I has a fantastic track record which I will link at bottom.

My friend asked me to make him a LR load for his Browning A-bolt in 300 WSM with the BOSS system. The barrel is 22" perhaps 21" long, hard to tell with that contraption on it. This is where this gets crazy and the facts will make a point. I had some 230 Berger hybrid targets on hand and gave them a try. To get the loaded round to fit and feed from the mag box I had to use an overall length of 2.8". I thought it would reduce performance considerably seeing so much of the bullet inside the case. It worked out well. It was accurate and it obtained respectable velocity. Using Fed 215 primers and working up to 61 gr of RL-17 for an amazing 2735 fps!

If this rifle can do that with such a long heavy bullet I am positive your rifle will work well with the 215 gr version of this bullet. In addition the hybrids have proven to be seating depth friendly. Many of the rifles I have loaded with hybrids never required any seating depth changes. Just work up a powder charge to find best accuracy.

Now for the 215's hunting abilities. A fellow LRH poster, Broz, did what I consider the best
documented hunting performance thread on any bullet I have even read. He used a 300 win mag for all the kills. I will skip the beginning which discusses the 215 hybrid vs the 210 VLD. The velocities and energy values are listed as well as entrance, interior and exit wounds. The velocity of the bullet at each distance will help any reader determine how slower cartridges will perform. IIRC there are 23 one shot kills here:

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/comparing-berger-210-vld-215-hybrid-88657/index12.html

What powder you recommend? I've read the R17 is temp sensitive? I really hope the 215s work. They seem perfect with their ability to carry KE down range and the high SD. Thanks again for the info.

I use R17 and R26 behind the 215s. Both group well and my temp sensitivity of R17 is roughly 1fps per degree from my control velocity at 85 degrees and it is repeatable. I don't have much data yet but the R26 load seems to be very stable.

AZ, are you crushing your powder with that 230 when seating the bullet?
))--SLIVER-->

Can't remember, it was my friend's rifle and it was over 4 yrs ago. I do know if it was crunching it wasn't much and there are no issues. Only once in my 30 plus years of loading over 100% load density did I have an issue. It was a 30-06 that was so full the bullet pushed itself back out the next day!

As most loaders know don't copy my load, work up to it looking for signs of pressure.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.