berger?

Fellas, I find it interesting only one poster distinguished he was shooting Berger VLD "Hunting" bullets vs Berger VLD Target Bullets. Burger says they are made the same but I suspect the core is different in the hunting bullets to give greater expansion upon penetration/impact.
I use the hunting bullets in my hunting rifles and the target bullets in my target rifles and they shoot essentially the same, but that is at paper targets. I would not shoot the target bullet at an amimal I wanted to harvest.

Fellas, I find it interesting only one poster distinguished he was shooting Berger VLD "Hunting" bullets vs Berger VLD Target Bullets. Burger says they are made the same but I suspect the core is different in the hunting bullets to give greater expansion upon penetration/impact.
I use the hunting bullets in my hunting rifles and the target bullets in my target rifles and they shoot essentially the same, but that is at paper targets. I would not shoot the target bullet at an amimal I wanted to harvest.

The target bullets have a thicker jacket than the hunting bullets and ,in fact, the old target bullets are now the new hunting bullets. (same bullet)......Rich

The target bullets have a thicker jacket than the hunting bullets and ,in fact, the old target bullets are now the new hunting bullets. (same bullet)......Rich

So I would have to conclude that LR6mmBR should not use the current Berger VLD Hunting bullets for hunting - since they were Berger's VLD Target bullets before they were Hunting bullets?

On the other hand, that plan is too little too late... because LR6mmBR states he uses the former Target VLDs in hunting rifles.

So if they're labeled target bullets yesterday and hunting bullets tomorrow, then what's a poor soul to do? I suppose one could conclude the Berger label on their VLDs has little bearing on whether one should use them solely for hunting or for target competition. Which leaves us with roughly one remaining option - making the decision based on how the bullets perform on game. Now there's a novel idea... No?

This reminds me of the Laurel and Hardy 'Who's on First' flick. :) Just mess'in with ya!

Last edited:
Haven't shot an elk with my 7mm Weatherby, but every whitetail I've shot with the 168gr. vld's has been under 250 yds and all have been through and through. 4 were rib shots and 1 at 129 yds through both shoulders.

So I would have to conclude that LR6mmBR should not use the current Berger VLD Hunting bullets for hunting - since they were Berger's VLD Target bullets before they were Hunting bullets?

On the other hand, that plan is too little too late... because LR6mmBR states he uses the former Target VLDs in hunting rifles.

So if they're labeled target bullets yesterday and hunting bullets tomorrow, then what's a poor soul to do? I suppose one could conclude the Berger label on their VLDs has little bearing on whether one should use them solely for hunting or for target competition. Which leaves us with roughly one remaining option - making the decision based on how the bullets perform on game. Now there's a novel idea... No?

This reminds me of the Laurel and Hardy 'Who's on First' flick. :) Just mess'in with ya!
I guess it did sound a little confusing! The new target bullets are also called (thick) the old target bullets were of the thinner skinned design which now have a different part# and are called hunting bullets. I found this out last fall when Bergers were hard to come by and this was confirmed by Eric Steicker of Berger. So, long story short, I don't care what 6mmBR uses but you might need a few hundred more feet of velocity to get the THICK skinned ones to expand:D:D.....Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.