Berger in .308

Ts3

I am wondering about Berger VLD hunting, classic hunter, and hybrid, all 168 gr. I know the hybrid is a target bullet but it seems a lot of guys do well with them. What is your experience with these on game from a .308? Any reason to choose one over the others? Medium game from 50-400 yds.

I shot the 168 gr Classic Hunters out of a 20" 1-10 twist Remington LTR last fall. 5 shot groups right at .4 consistently. I did run a wire drill bit in the nose of all of my bullets. FYI

Shot a very large Wisconsin doe at 180 yards. Entry side shoulder was low and forward in the joint with exitin shoulder right where the blade starts. She went 10 yards without front running gear.

Not much help but it'll get the thread started.

Following as well.

Steve

I am wondering about Berger VLD hunting, classic hunter, and hybrid, all 168 gr. I know the hybrid is a target bullet but it seems a lot of guys do well with them. What is your experience with these on game from a .308? Any reason to choose one over the others? Medium game from 50-400 yds.
I use the 180gr Elite Hunter. In my rifle with 42.5gr of RL-15, Lapua brass, CCI BR-2 at .040" off the lands I'm seeing single digit SD/ES and 2850fps from a 26" tube.

I wish they had a hybrid made for hunting In this weight if they indeed are easier to tune than the VLD. I don't have the factory rifle magazine length restriction to need to use the classic hunter, as the best I can tell that is what they're made for. I will probably just give the VLDs a try.

I run the 168 classic hunter and it has been flawless on several whitetail out to 400

Just started testing the 168 Classic Hunter in a 1:10 Remington. Two loads with Enduron 4166 showing great promise. Next trip with few more powder charges and seating depth to fine tune. Great bullet.

Just started testing the 168 Classic Hunter in a 1:10 Remington. Two loads with Enduron 4166 showing great promise. Next trip with few more powder charges and seating depth to fine tune. Great bullet.

Awesome. Give us an update on groups and MV when you can. Barrel length?

I use 168vld 44.5 grains of varget works perfect out to 500 yds with cds leupold

168 Hybrid at 446yrds. Impact velocity of 2211fps and 1823 ft-lbs of energy. She took about 5 steps and down. No problems with the Hybrid as a hunting bullet.

Attachments

• 20191114_174339.jpg
    20191114_174339.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 174
I use the classic hunter, it is excellent. Tried the VLDs and actually had a feeding issue. Highly recommend the classic hunter in 168gr.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.