Berger Elite Hunter's 6.5, 140gr

I just got 500 in yesterday. It will take me awhile to measure & sort them and even longer to do any range testing. Will probably try in my 6.5-284s first, but for now, the HVLDs are shooting too well to change. I will post my initial measurements
as soon as I can get to it.

Thanks DOK, I'll be watching. I use the 140 VLD hunting in my Creedmoor and 6.5 Weatherby with great results. I also like the ELDM in the Creed.

They are extremely accurate (along with the 140 ELD and 143 ELD-X) in my 6.5 WSM. I've not tried them on game which is what I want to know about but they shoot lights out and aren't sensitive at all to seating depth.

Thanks DOK, I'll be watching. I use the 140 VLD hunting in my Creedmoor and 6.5 Weatherby with great results. I also like the ELDM in the Creed.

Just got thru sorting 505 Berger .264 140 gr Elite Hunters and I am pretty impressed.
Weight- 33% 39.9 gr.
62% 140 gr.
5% 140.1 gr.
Diameter- .264.0. +/- .0001" on 10 bullet sample from each box
BTO- 1.4255", 98% of all bullets were within +/- .001"
OAL- all bullets were within .002" +/- of Berger's length of 1.403"

I went one step further and used the Bob Green Comparator on all 505 bullets, as I get more consistent setting depths by sorting with this tool.
By this stage, I had culled 9 bullets based on base to ogive.
.0000" base group 183 bullets or 36%
.0005" group 147 bullets or 29%
.0010" group 166 bullets or 33%

This is the best figures on any 500 lot of bullets I have ever measured, with 98% of all 505 bullets within .0005" of mean measurement on the BBC tool. I only wish I could shoot well enough to take advantage of this lot.

They are extremely accurate (along with the 140 ELD and 143 ELD-X) in my 6.5 WSM. I've not tried them on game which is what I want to know about but they shoot lights out and aren't sensitive at all to seating depth.

These things are NICE. They are as good pretty much about as good as the 135 JLKs we shoot. Even in load development they shot extremely well with our RL26

This was the first load and group with the 140 elite hunters I tested in my rifle, with almost no load development. I also tested the 140hybrids and 140vld hunters, both shot very well.
image.jpg

Great info guys thank you. I will have to get a box.

I wish the bullet companies would all make 20ct. sample boxes

Dunno. I find that a 100 ct box is sort of a sample box if you are doing any sort of load development. I ordered 500 for a new 6.5 Creedmoor with heavy Bartlein barrel. Rounds 29-52 shot about .75" groups, across the board.... But I was dealing with my own crappy shooting (have tremor), rising temps from 75- 90 during the shoot, and a poor public shooting range where the benches quiver.

I think the Elite Hunters are going to be good -- they've already done better than other Berger products I've beaten my head into. I was doing load development touching the lands. I will then pick couple groups in a row that seemed consistent, break it down some more, and then finally play with seating..... Or so goes the theory and the first 100- 150 bullets.....

I am shooting them in a Fierce 6.5 x 284, 46 grains of H4831 SC and they shoots lights out. 1-hole groups at 100 & 200 yards and just a little over 1" at 500. I haven't shot any further than that for any type of groups but I have 12' x 12" steel from 300-750 and then one at 960 that's 30" x 20" and I have not missed the steel yet. I love them but cannot hardly find any to buy anymore. If anyone has some insight as to where to get some I would sure appreciate the info. I haven't tried them in my 6.5 Creedmoor yet because the 143 grain VLDX's shoot so good!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.