Berger close up on game performance

MTLIVIN

I'm going to make sure this doesn't start out the wrong way, so lets be clear, I shot an cow elk on Saturday from 200 yards with a berger bullet, she is very dead and died quickly. My family will enjoy the meat!

Now, the details: Im shooting a 7mm Mag with 180 Berger Hybrids at 2990 fps. I've shot 2 cow elk, 1 deer, 1 bear, and 1 antelope with this load but most those were 500+ yard shots. This shot was 200 yards broadside and I put it about 1/3 up and 4" behind the crease, perfect double lung. After the shot she immediately went behind a ridge out of sight and piled up about 100 yards out, furthest I've seen one go with this bullet. What really surprised me was there wasn't even a scratch on the offside ribcage from the bullet, it completely blew up inside the lungs, not sure how she even made it 100 yards. It was very cold and windy so I didn't stick around looing for fragments but I confirmed it liquidated the lungs. The bullet isn't near as explosive at longer range in my experience, but is this pretty normal for shots 300 yards and in?

I would say that that is what should be expected of a Berger or any other non-bonded lead-core bullet that impacts an animal at high velocity.

Dead is dead and your bullet performed as expected but that is why I prefer bonded bullets

Yeah they will still have great penetration but less chance of exit at closer ranges.

As far as the elk running...according to your post thats only your 2nd elk with Berger. How many elk have you killed total with any rifle/bullet?
If you dont hit them with a high shoulder shot to break the back and vitals, dont expect them to drop where they are standing. Doesnt matter what bullet you are shooting, elk are tough.

Last edited:
This guy took two 156 grain Bergers at 50 yards on Saturday. Liquified lungs and peppered offside rib cage but nothing broke through muscle on offside. He went 10 yards maybe and that was from sliding. Lungs poured out the rib cage holes when I was removing rib meat.
6A82AE8A-B0E6-449B-8E57-0C52F4FAA35A.jpeg

Yes that's normal performance for a Berger. That's what they are designed to do, penetrate some then fragment. I have never had a Berger exit an elk with 6.5 classics and VLDS. They have exited on all deer size game I have shot. I had 1 exit in a bear and 1 go thru, those were .338cal 250 elites.

I've had similar experiences with shots a close as 50 yards, none ran more than 20 yards but it's a fear of mine. Shoot one late and you're looking in the dark with minimum blood.

I too shot a cow just this weekend on private land fairly close at 150. It was a 215 berger over a mild load from a new 30 nosler at 2850. I shot to pretty much the same spot. The bullet center punched the entrance side rib. It jellied the lungs and destroyed 3 ribs that you could pass a fist trough on the outbound side. One two small fragments passed through the hide. It dumped her in her tracks.

I think it did hit a rib, but it was a long weekend and I haven't peeled back the hide yet (got to drag this one out whole with a 4-wheeler, first for me!!)

I've shot quite a few elk and been on way more kills with all sorts of different bullets, maybe 20 rifle elk kills in total (more if including archery). I also prefer bonded bullets on hunts where I expect close shots, but I still prefer bergers for long shots and that's what we typically get. Some elk can just sprint while dead, and this cow did just that.

I like a drain hole. Bonded bullets for me.

I'm in agreement. I tried the 200 federal tlr's with limited success. They shot good enough but kept throwing fliers after exhaustive testing.

I want to try the 200 nosler accubond but had to make a quick change prior to the hunt so I went with what I knew would shoot and that was the berger. Lots of good info on it made it easy to throw together a 1 moa load at 300 yards with no real load development.

I've seen elk and mule deer make it 100yds with mushed lungs, seems if they get that surge of adrenaline before impact they can make it that far
My wife says I need big holes with lots of blood so I won't have to come get her to track it LOL. She swears I cannot see blood at night unless there is a lot of it. She is right.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.