Berger 220 bullets hunting

Schw15

I updated in other thread but figured I'd make my own. I hunted this year with the berger 30 cal 220 lrht bullet and I am very impressed. I use that bullet for elr shooting steel and figured mine as well try it for hunting reading a few good reviews. I switched to PVA copper bullets last time and had great luck as well. I've tried a lot of bullets over the years and honestly this berger really impressed me. I think overall the coppers are the best for shoulder shots if you have to take them. The 220 berger is now my favorite and will keep it for future hunting hands down they pull double duty for my target and hunting.

I'm pushing the 220 berger at 2900 not the fastest but great node. I am a true believer in not pushing these bullets or eldx ect extremely fast on game just my opinion and what I have experienced over the years. Feel like they perform better at 3000 and under for sure.

First was my doe antelope 420 yards 1 shot right behind front shoulder angled out towards back side shoulder and blew a pretty good hole. She dropped so fast didn't even blink and from what I remember no meat loss.

Second was a mule deer buck at like 80 yards or so I didn't even rangfind him he was so close. This is where I worry about these type of bullets but hit him behind shoulder angled out and clipped off shoulder found the bullet on off side hide and multiple small copper pieces. I did lose a little but of front shoulder meat but not bad at all. He went maybe 10 yards down hill and piled up.

Third was my bull elk at 517 the bull just dropped on a higher shoulder shot came out backside with a good hole on exit side. Never lost an oz of meat and found a few small copper pieces.

I don't do anything special to the 220 bergers they come factory tipped and most look like the hole is plugged but they operate amazing!! I use to use eldx but had some mixed results with blow ups and loss of meat. The 200 and 212 eldx always worked good for me the small amount I used them. This is the first time I used berger and this particular bullet had impressed me so much from short distance to over 500.

Not sure if I have pictures I have a few of bull but I always forget to take some of bullet performance.

They were kinda marginal for me. I shot a buck in the boiler room at 500 yards and he covered over 1/4 mile. I didn't find him before the coyotes.
After several other mediocre kills I went 225 eldm and the difference is night and day.

They were kinda marginal for me. I shot a buck in the boiler room at 500 yards and he covered over 1/4 mile. I didn't find him before the coyotes.
After several other mediocre kills I went 225 eldm and the difference is night and day.
How fast were you pushing them? That's strange. See I wouldn't trust the 225 eldm for hunting at all I guess we all have our own experience and stories

How fast were you pushing them? That's strange. See I wouldn't trust the 225 eldm for hunting at all I guess we all have our own experience and stories
2950 fps
I've had failures to expand between 2000-2300 fps with the lrht, 215, and 195 Eol.
I've been a Berger fan for along time, and I still love the 180 vldh, but the eldms are the best most consistent bullets in terms of expansion and terminal performance that I've used.

We've killed dozens of bulls bucks and even a hog now with 147s and 225s.
The furthest bull was just shy of 1k the closest kill was inside 30 yards, they flat out kill.

I only have experience with berger 220 eldx 200 and eldx 212. Right now I'm comfortable with berger 220 and eldx 212 but for me I would use the berger 220 because I use them for target shooting too. I never shot a 215 berger so can't say but hear great things. From my understanding from other people the 220 performs like the 215. I keep all these bullets off of shoulders and aim a hand or two widths behind shoulder shove them threw ribs and lungs.

Just this year I been running a 212 ELDX in my 308. Its slow but when you look at down range energy due to BC and the type of bullet then it can make sense. I've ran the 220ELDX in my RUM and was thinking about either just using the 212 so I'm only buying one bullet or if the others offered that much more then I would try and find one of the others but generally speaking between about the 4 to 5 stores I frequent I always can find the 212's. I also ran the 230 Berger's in my RUM but I have to single feed them. The 220's I was able to load at mag length and got good groups but I'm almost out of them. I guess I'm trying to to simplify some of my reloading between my 30 cals. The 212x hold sub MOA in my 308 past 600 yards. I'm hoping to refine the load a little before the next hunting season and get another load developed for my RUM. I was running RL26 with outstanding velocity and I was getting some really good accuracy but RL26 seem to had to find. I can suffer a few fps and use something much easier to find.

Just this year I been running a 212 ELDX in my 308. Its slow but when you look at down range energy due to BC and the type of bullet then it can make sense. I've ran the 220ELDX in my RUM and was thinking about either just using the 212 so I'm only buying one bullet or if the others offered that much more then I would try and find one of the others but generally speaking between about the 4 to 5 stores I frequent I always can find the 212's. I also ran the 230 Berger's in my RUM but I have to single feed them. The 220's I was able to load at mag length and got good groups but I'm almost out of them. I guess I'm trying to to simplify some of my reloading between my 30 cals. The 212x hold sub MOA in my 308 past 600 yards. I'm hoping to refine the load a little before the next hunting season and get another load developed for my RUM. I was running RL26 with outstanding velocity and I was getting some really good accuracy but RL26 seem to had to find. I can suffer a few fps and use something much easier to find.
I would for sure go to the 212 eldx for the 1 bullet. Also don't bat your eye at the copper solids hammers or pva. Just have to have the right twist rate.

I haven't shot the eldx lone for years but when I did use them great results specially the 212 eldx