Berger 180 vld (.284) and hunting

mtshtr

I bought some berger 180 vld, mainly just to test and shoot some long range groups with. When I've been doing some reading, I see people talking about hunting with berger vld and saying they do well.

But can't tell if they are talking about a different version of the bullet like hybrid, hunting, etc.

Is it just the regular vld? Or other?

Thoughts?

Both work well. I use the 180 VLD hunting in my 7 SAUM. They are running 2900 fps. I have killed around 30 african animals and perhaps another dozen North American animals with them. That particular combination is deadly. Not too fast to cause over expansion with plenty of energy to go out a ways. I killed a Auodad at 611 yds in africa 2yrs ago. All the way up to a Livingstone eland at 75 yds. He was well over 1500 lbs and maybe approaching 2000. Noticeably bigger than my cape buffalo.
The jacket on the hybrid is suppose to be slightly thicker. So should expand less rapidly. I have not found the VLD hunting to be wanting. If you want more details let me know. A number of years ago I started a thread on another forum detailing the kills with that bullet.
Bruce

Both work well. I use the 180 VLD hunting in my 7 SAUM. They are running 2900 fps. I have killed around 30 african animals and perhaps another dozen North American animals with them. That particular combination is deadly. Not too fast to cause over expansion with plenty of energy to go out a ways. I killed a Auodad at 611 yds in africa 2yrs ago. All the way up to a Livingstone eland at 75 yds. He was well over 1500 lbs and maybe approaching 2000. Noticeably bigger than my cape buffalo.
The jacket on the hybrid is suppose to be slightly thicker. So should expand less rapidly. I have not found the VLD hunting to be wanting. If you want more details let me know. A number of years ago I started a thread on another forum detailing the kills with that bullet.
Bruce

Ok that is awesome. Such good real life info. Thank you!
I will try them on deer and antelope if I get drawn this year. Maybe an elk if I get out for them.