Berger 140gr for .264 Wim Mag

Dosh

I have some 140gr Berger VLD, Federal 215 primers, new Norma brass, H4831SC, H1000, IMR7977 and Retumbo. My Berger manual appears to be a bit conservative. Model 700, 24" barrel, Timney trigger and McMillan stock. Anyone have any success with any of these powders?
Thanks in advance

140 Berger hybrid? If so, seat it as close to maximum magazine length as possible and still feed reliably. From those powder choices I'd start with Retumbo at about 64.0g and work up, if you don't see what your looking for by 68.0g it's not going to be Retumbo. With a 24" barrel I'd try IMR 7977 next and maybe take a look at R-26. I Prefer a bit more case fill than 4831sc gives in a 264, but it maybe what you are looking for with a 24" barrel you should be able to get to respectable velocity. IMO, R-33 and Norma217 may be a bit too slow, but it wouldn't hurt to look if nothing else turns up. I've been using 217 in my 264 with the 140 hybrid at 3168. I'll share my load if you decide to give 217 a try. You are about to have some real fun, 264 win is darn near a laser beam and quite a hoot at long range!

If your 264wm is a 9" twist like most factory rifles you will be on the marginal side for stability. Twist calculator shows 8.25" twist as min. There is a pretty good chance they will fly very well but you could have some terminal performance issues along with a little loss in bc.

Steve

Thanks for replying. This load will be for mule deer only. Perhaps the 135 or 130 would stabilize better. I live at 1200', but the hunt will be at 4500''-6000' depending on the unit. Due to the heat here when testing loads, I need temp stable powders. We use homemade air pump barrel coolers already and monitor barrel temps with infrared digital thermometer.

The 140 Berger VLD easily stabilizes in a 9 twist, though you may not get the maximum bc. Retumbo is the powder of choice for the .264 WM. If that doesn't do the trick, VV N570 is worth trying.

Book data for the .264 WM is virtually worthless. Do a MIN-MAX workup to establish limits with your rifle and components and go from there.

I have some 140gr Berger VLD, Federal 215 primers, new Norma brass, H4831SC, H1000, IMR7977 and Retumbo. My Berger manual appears to be a bit conservative. Model 700, 24" barrel, Timney trigger and McMillan stock. Anyone have any success with any of these powders?
Thanks in advance

I would go with H4831SC or the H1000 first they're are both temp stable powders, I'm also a Arizona shooter and we hunt in a lot of heat at times , good luck !!!

I would go with H4831SC or the H1000 first they're are both temp stable powders, I'm also a Arizona shooter and we hunt in a lot of heat at times , good luck !!!

FYI, all four of the powders mentioned by the OP are temp stable powders.

I am running 140 Berger hunting vld in my rifle with 70 grains Retumbo, rem 9.5 primers getting 3230fps from a 26" Proof Barrel. No pressure issues in "my" rifle but this is over book max so work up.

Thanks again for the replies. Just got the brass ready and primed. I'm loading 3 test loads of Retumbo and 3 of H1000 tonight.

Don't get discouraged with lower than expected velocities. That 24" barrel is a killer on velocity in the 264 Win mag. I have a 264 Win mag with a 27 3/4" 9 twist shilen barrel with Retumbo with 130 Accubonds it does 3350 fps and is VERY accurate. I have killed white tail deer from 25 out to a little over 500 yards with this combo and it just plain works the same. Bullet goes in takes out the vitals exits with a quarter size hole and the deer drop in their tracks.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.