Bergara Wilderness HMR how to make it even better?

trazman

Hi everyone, some time ago I posted a video of my "build" more just assembling...

So I only used top products for this rifle. My question is, what can I do to make it even better?

Is a bedding job needed or beneficial since it has a mini chassis in the stock?

I know that a better trigger will make it easier to shoot.

I also got some advice to clean the color where the action is touching the chassis and where the action screws are touching the lower metal.

Another advice was also to torque the action to the stock at 55 inch/lb.

Any other advice?

To make it clear I have not shot the rifle yet, and I am planning on doing it before doing any other steps. But I really enjoy improving stuff so I will be really happy for your suggestions. Thanks a lot in advance ;)

Yes. They should not touch. If it uses some kind of mags you'll need to check for fitment before you bed. Electrical tape measures right at .005. Two pieces .010, etc. Place tape at front and rear of assembly and test fitment and function. If you tighten the action screws add more tape cuz it'll be squished.

There is no way your action is perfectly "fit" into the chassis. If there is an uneven fit when you tighten the action screws the action will "bend" towards the path of least resistance. It only takes 15in/lbs of torque to stress an action. That will cause all kinds of "unexplained" fliers, etc.

Last edited:
Here are the two items that are (arguably) the best for bedding. I've used Devcon as well but Marine Tex is not for not shrinking, deteriorating, etc. I'll search for the article that explained the issues with all the typical bedding compounds: Marine Tex, Devcon, Acraglas gel, Acraglas that uses flox and is runny (that product is not user friendly).

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211011-161337_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211011-161337_Chrome.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 34
  • Screenshot_20211011-161456_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211011-161456_Chrome.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Here are a couple of groups that were shot after bedding. I have never had a rifle's accuracy go to pot after adding the epoxy. Both factory rifles.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180601-204835_Photobucket.jpg
    Screenshot_20180601-204835_Photobucket.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 46

Recent Posts