Bergara Ridgline 300 Win mag

Korhil78

i bought a Bergara Ridgeline in 300 win mag from a guy on the LRH site. Barely used for a good deal. I had read about Bergara rifles being a very accurate out of the box rifle. I already had a bunch of H1000 and after reading about the 215 Gr Berger's a lot, I bought some of them as well. Did some load development and found a load really fast which was nice.

The rifle:

Bergara Ridgeline (300 win mag)
The stock is pillar bedded from the factory and comes with a #5 contour barrel that is also thread for a muzzlebrake from the factory. I really like that contour on all my rifle barrels for hunting. The only gripe I have about the barrel is that it is 24" and not 26". Small gripe but it's still there! The trigger has just the tiniest bit of creep in it (almost unnoticeable) and is much better than a Rem 700 trigger. The action is a rem 700 clone but has a side bolt release which I like as well.

The chamber is throated to allow bullets to be seated out to a distance that will not decrease the amount of powder that you can put into the case.

The barrel That is on this rifle does collect a bit of copper and takes a little while to clean out but I only have 93 rounds total down the barrel. Also it is a factory rifle so I do not expect it to clean up as fast or well as my custom barrels. I would say that it's acceptable.

I started out my load development with fire formed ADG brass (I really like this brass so far). After fireforming, I annealed the brass. I used CCI 250 large magnum rifle primers, ADG brass, H1000 powder and 215 Gr Berger seated .015" from the rifling. I did not chrono these loads as I was in a hurry before it got dark and just wanted to try to find a accurate group to start from. I started out with 75 Gr of H1000 and ended with 77 Gr going in half grain increments. I shot my groups at 300 yards. 75.5 Gr and 77 Gr both shot sub half MOA but 77 Gr was showing a slight ejector mark on the brass. I want my brass to last a while and I don't think the animal is going to know the difference so I am going to work with the 75.5 Gr next. I am going to attach the magneto speed next and load up 75.3-75.7 in .1 Gr increments and see what I have for ES and SD. If you are looking for a really nice factory rifle that is accurate out of the box, I suggest looking really hard at one of these. So far it has surpassed my expectations.

Below are the pics of the 75.5 and 77 Gr groups shot at 300 yards.

75.5 Gr (1.046" group)
E8EEF580-F144-4524-A1C3-76DDCE650C21.jpeg

77 Gr (1.32" group)
F6B32404-F61D-4D5A-9917-BAB050F00E48.jpeg

Last edited:
I have the Bergara B-14 HMR in .300 WM. She likes the Nosler 180gr Accubonds (Factory Loads).
Bergara 1.jpg
Bergara 2.jpg

i bought a Bergara Ridgeline in 300 win mag from a guy on the LRH site. Barely used for a good deal. I had read about Bergara rifles being a very accurate out of the box rifle. I already had a bunch of H1000 and after reading about the 215 Gr Berger's a lot, I bought some of them as well. Did some load development and found a load really fast which was nice.

The rifle:

Bergara Ridgeline (300 win mag)
The stock is pillar bedded from the factory and comes with a #5 contour barrel that is also thread for a muzzlebrake from the factory. I really like that contour on all my rifle barrels for hunting. The only gripe I have about the barrel is that it is 24" and not 26". Small gripe but it's still there! The trigger has just the tiniest bit of creep in it (almost unnoticeable) and is much better than a Rem 700 trigger. The action is a rem 700 clone but has a side bolt release which I like as well.

The chamber is throated to allow bullets to be seated out to a distance that will not decrease the amount of powder that you can put into the case.

The barrel That is on this rifle does collect a bit of copper and takes a little while to clean out but I only have 93 rounds total down the barrel. Also it is a factory rifle so I do not expect it to clean up as fast or well as my custom barrels. I would say that it's acceptable.

I started out my load development with fire formed ADG brass (I really like this brass so far). After fireforming, I annealed the brass. I used CCI 250 large magnum rifle primers, ADG brass, H1000 powder and 215 Gr Berger seated .015" from the rifling. I did not chrono these loads as I was in a hurry before it got dark and just wanted to try to find a accurate group to start from. I started out with 75 Gr of H1000 and ended with 77 Gr going in half grain increments. I shot my groups at 300 yards. 75.5 Gr and 77 Gr both shot sub half MOA but 77 Gr was showing a slight ejector mark on the brass. I want my brass to last a while and I don't think the animal is going to know the difference so I am going to work with the 75.5 Gr next. I am going to attach the magneto speed next and load up 75.3-75.7 in .1 Gr increments and see what I have for ES and SD. If you are looking for a really nice factory rifle that is accurate out of the box, I suggest looking really hard at one of these. So far it has surpassed my expectations.

Below are the pics of the 75.5 and 77 Gr groups shot at 300 yards.

75.5 Gr (1.046" group)
View attachment 117553

77 Gr (1.32" group)
View attachment 117552

75 - 75.5 is right about where it should be with the brass you have. The guys pushing beyond 77 usually have lighter brass made by Norma, such as, Nosler, Norma, and Lapua headstamps.

75 - 75.5 is right about where it should be with the brass you have. The guys pushing beyond 77 usually have lighter brass made by Norma, such as, Nosler, Norma, and Lapua headstamps.

Yessir, I don't usially like pushing my brass real hard. If I start seeing ejector marks, I let that be my indicator. I had an easy bolt lift after firing it but I have found that a heavy bolt lift is an indicator of "you should have stopped a while back". I usually let my brass show me the details since I don't have a pressure trace. That's just my opinion.

My Ridgeline prefers 180gr Nosler Accubond or Ballistic Tips with IMR 4831 @ 74.0 with WLR primer and WW brass- 300 Win Mag

I have a pencil factory barrel savage and I have a suppressor in jail. I have been looking at the hmr pro for hunting only but it weighs like 9.3 lbs naked. I will look at your model and see if I like the way it feels in my hands. Thank you for your review